Jen's Reviews > Cheat On Your Husband (with Your Husband): How to Date Your Spouse

Cheat On Your Husband (with Your Husband) by Andrea Syrtash

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: arc-s
Read from July 20 to August 05, 2011

Thank you to Goodreads and Rodale books for sending me this ARC to review! The title is what caught my eye initially and I was curious to see what information the book had to offer.

One of the first things to jump out at me was that the author has only been married for 5 years (at the time she wrote this). That right there was a turn off for me because having been married for almost 15 years, I would've preferred the advice to come from someone whose walked the road of marriage for longer than me. I mean no disrespect when I say this, it was just my initial reaction. She did include women of various ages and stages of marriage, some in the midst of raising children and some without, etc. She offered up lots of suggestions of how to spice up your marriage, date nights, sexy lingerie, planning a romantic weekend away, all the usual advice but also included scientific information on brain function and reaction which was helpful too.

Going back to the title for a minute, after the humor wore off, it dawned on me that the wording actually bothered me a bit. It almost implys that cheating in a marriage is normal, expected in some way, or bound to happen eventually once one of the partners gets bored. If that's true, then you set up the marriage to fail right from the start. Now, I understand that the author is not promoting infidelity but just the fact that our society today is so readily accepting of it is disturbing to me. She noted that 50% of all marriages end in divorce which is no shocker but still sad to think about.

This book is organized and filled with helpful information.

Love is a choice. When you marry someone, you're making a choice each day to love that person, regardless of whether or not you happen to like them right then. They have to make that same choice about you as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cheat On Your Husband (with Your Husband).