May's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Elizabeth  Miles

Aug 22, 11

Read from July 15 to 23, 2011

Karma in Indian religions is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh philosophies.
How many of you believe in Karma?
How many of you believe that people must atone for their sins?
I believe in As you sow, so shall you reap. But then what about An eye for an eye makes the world go blind?
The Furies are vengeful and shall not let any Em and Chase go unpunished.
The novels two main protagonists are the sinners. Was I supposed to wish the furies don’t harm them? Well, I didn’t.
Em was weak and stupid and insensitive and well a total bitch.
Her best friend truly loves her. She isn’t like a mean person or anything. She truly cares for Em.
And what does Em do?
She hooks up with her bff’s boyfriend of course!
While many don’t think of this as particular ghastly a deed, I do and unfortunately for Em so do the furies.
Em’s justifications for her actions were extremely selfish and I completely disliked her.
Chase on the other hand, I really really liked. He was vulnerable and pitiable and the fact that we are unaware of what exactly he has done wrong to incur the wrath of the furies certainly helped.
It also lends an air of mystery to the plot.
The book was set in Maine where I am noticing a host of YA books are being set! Not that I am complaining! It does lend for a cold and beautiful setting.
I completely enjoyed the high school portrayal in the book. It was realistic and fun.
Readers who are looking for a book on greek mythology or a typical YA paranormal shall be disappointed because it really doesn’t delve much into the paranormal.
The book was eerie in parts but I didn’t find it all the scary and for me that was the downfall of the book! While I am not happy to admit this but I did keep wishing the Furies did something more terrible to them! It was kind of slow in that respect.
Nevertheless the plot was fresh and interesting and I enjoyed the book. I loved the cliffhanger at the end and I can barely wait for Book 2. I would like to thank Galley Grab for providing me with an eGalley.
Stars- 3.5
Want a chance to win Fury? Because who doesn't want to own a book with that fabulous cover! http://oopsireadthatbook.blogspot.com/2011/08/fury-fury-trilogy-1-by-elizabeth-miles.html

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.