Haley's Reviews > Unremembered

Unremembered by Jessica Brody

5082030
Jan 04, 14

Read from April 03 to 05, 2013

Loved this book so much. I haven’t read any other books by this author, because as her other books are realistic fiction, but she did an awesome job creating a unique sci-fi mystery. Seraphina has one of the most unique cases of amnesia that I read about. She not only forgot her past, but also what certain things are, like cars and computers and guns. She’s also really good at math.
They can’t find anyone who knows her, so they put her with a foster family and she meets Cody, her foster brother. Cody’s really funny and it’s hilarious how he has to explain certain things to Sera. He’s got a little crush on her too. It’s so cute. He calls her the Amnesiac Supermodel. Sera asks him for favors and he get in trouble. Really, this book has some fun adventures in it and some not so fun. And there’s Zen, the guy who shows up claiming that he knows her and tells her that her name is Sera. He’s swoon worthy and protective even if Sera can protect herself in ways he can’t.
This book was full of twists and turns. Some I could have guessed, others I never saw coming. I read the prequel short story called the “Memory Coder”, so I already knew some things. There’s some crazy chase scene and the issue that Sera (called Violet by the press because her eyes) is now a celebrity in a way because she was supposedly the only survivor in a plane crash. So people recognize her from the news and want to take photos of her. It’s not really spoilery to say that Sera was genetically engineered. I love read YA about genetic engineering.
This book is like: False Memory by Dan Krokos, Altered by Jennifer Rush, the Maximum Ride series (in some ways), The Deviants series by Jeff Sampson (Vesper, Havoc, Ravage) and possibly The Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising series, and throw in Hourglass by Myra McEntire. Books that have some kind of facility/scientific organization or lab compound that secretly does genetic engineering on human DNA. Because of Sera’s math obsession, she reminded me of Amelia from Touch, the TV show on Fox.
There’s a really big twist at the end and a literal cliff-hanger (or cliff-dive). I need to know what book 2 is about now!! I know it’s Unforgotten and it’s coming out March next year, and I really hope the cover’s better.
Cover Art Review: Not a fan of the girl’s face. Her hair looks too dark to be Sera’s. I’d prefer something more sci-fi-ish. I like the title type. And the inner cover has the knot design that was mentioned.

~Haley G

My blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unremembered.

01/04 marked as: read