Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Proven Guilty

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

May contain minor spoilers. Read at your own peril.

I knew who the warlock was even before I accidentally spoiled myself by looking up the Laws of Magic on Wikipedia (they need a non-spoiler version...). It was fairly obvious, I think Harry was just trying to deny it even to himself.

I have to say that I love the faeries in this series more every time I see them even though the winter fey creep me out immensely. They don't think or act like people. They follow a completely different set of rules. It makes them difficult to deal with and I thoroughly enjoy reading about Harry struggling with them. Finding out that they played him every time is pretty sweet for the reader (at least the ones playing him this time around were on his side for the most part).

Thomas was awesome yet again. His fighting prowess is just impressive, though I'm not sure I'd want to stick around my half-brother who happens to be a supernatural magnet for trouble even if I did have superpowers (he's obviously a much better person than most people despite sucking the life out of people for sustenance).

I wish they hadn't gotten into the "Harry and Murphy should be together" thing. I love Murphy as a character, but I'm just not sure I want them to date each other. I think it would greatly diminish her character to be the love interest.

Charity proved to be a more interesting character than I previously thought. I already liked Michael and somewhat respected Charity (for taking care of all those kids if nothing else), but I really couldn't stand the way she treated Harry. Even with the new explanation, I still think she owed him, but Harry's too good of a guy to make her own up to it. Anyway, I guess she was just being Momma Bear.

Oh, and I can't wait for more of Mouse because obviously the dog is not just an awesome dog. He is more than just an intelligent sidekick. I seriously hope the others in the litter had the same qualities...

The language was a lot more adult in this one with at least 4 or five instances of the f-bomb that I didn't really feel were necessary (for one I don't really think that they fit Harry's character; if they had been from someone else I might have been less jarred). I rather appreciated the use of other euphemisms like stars and stones and Hell's bells. And him using it to get a teenage girl to sit back down just seemed excessive. There was some sexuality including a minor's (seventeen year old) attempt to get an adult to engage in sexual activity, talk about incubus habits, talk about the seventeen year old's other experience and masturbation. There was also a Winter Lady discussing how long it had been since Harry had last gotten any and getting off on pain and death. As for violence, there were beatings by incorporeal beings, torture of a couple beings through both psychological and physical means, murders (by sickle and by a predatory animal), a couple of hit and runs (including one on an animal), an assault on a castle with Hellfire and talk of battles between wizards and vampires.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Proven Guilty.

08/20/2011 "Harry dropped the F-bomb in a context that I totally wouldn't have expected him to do it. I don't think he's ever used it, and then to use it there was just shocking..."
09/01/2011
85.0% "I knew that Harry would be darker both with Laschiel and becoming a Warden, but I find that the his use of the f-bomb just isn't characteristic of him for me. I feel that he knows that words have power and that he would know of more effective ones to use (especially when his usually word choices worked so well in the previous books)."