Charlotte's Reviews > Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections Between Sexuality and Spirituality

Sex God by Rob Bell

Jul 06, 12

Read from July 05 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I read this book ages ago, when I had been a christian for a few years and hadn't yet really hit that "I'm a sexual being and that means stuff" kind of revelation. At the time, reading it was amazing - sex didn't get spoken of very much at the church I was going to, and Bell has a great way of explaining bits from the Bible: linking Old and New testaments, and explaining a few things that get lost in translation.

Reading it after... maybe 5 years(?) I have to rethink how I feel about this book. This time I read it in the space of a few hours. It's not a big book. I'm a quick reader. And it wasn't as great as I remembered. But it was still good.

"Sex God" is great for posing questions and discussion points. This re-read reminded me of a few points that did help shape my early, newly-converted views of sex and sexuality. I have a lot of questions about the book, and especially what it didn't say. And I disagree with large amounts of his points. But disagreeing is fun. Now I'm older I'm ok about not grabbing at the ideas Bell introduces straight away.

As a way to introduce topics this book is great. Not so great is it's kind of wishy-washy overview approach to... everything. And I'm not really sure who this book is even aimed at, which I think is part of the problem.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex God.