Shmarya's Reviews > The Night Angel Trilogy

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Hardcore fantasy fans
Read from July 15 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

While the core concept of this series is intriguing, I found the implementation left much to be desired. At the end of the three volumes, I remain supremely unsatisfied.

The idea of the Night Angel is truly fascinating, and is almost enough to carry the not-quite adequate storytelling.

All in all, my main complaint is that the novel is unnecessarily complicated. There are a large number of plot-points and story-lines which do little if anything to contribute to the overall tale, and seem to serve only to express additional concepts that the author thought sounded cool at the time.

Additionally, instead of developing the various story-lines and characters in parallel, the author instead takes a 'just-in-time' approach to story-building. Instead of drawing out the tale across the length of the novel, there are frantic sequences of 'catching up' and backstory-stuffing just before various events. This contributes to a very strange stop-starting rhythm which leaves one with a vaguely anticlimactic feeling throughout.

It would have been better if the editor had forced the author to cull at least half the various characters and storyline from the novel. It might even have left enough meat for a sequel.

As it is, the frenetic pace, over-complexity and underwhelming ending left me with a vaguely sour taste, even as I enjoyed the notion of the Night Angel and the ka'kari.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Angel Trilogy.

07/16/2011 "Half way through"
07/24/2011 "Almost done"