Scotti's Reviews > Why Christianity Must Change or Die: A Bishop Speaks to Believers In Exile

Why Christianity Must Change or Die by John Shelby Spong

Jul 15, 11

Recommended to Scotti by: God set it in front of me @ Barnes & Noble.
Recommended for: Christians who are searching for better answers.
Read on January 01, 2000 — I own a copy, read count: 3

This book changed my life. I "searched" for it for years, stuck in the middle between my beliefs and the control and manipulation I felt from the fundamentalist church I was raised in. Determined not to "throw the baby out with the bathwater," I kept searching. I stumbled across this book at a bookstore. I had never heard of it or of John Spong. I have since read almost everything Spong has written and been privileged to meet him and hear him speak on several occasions. He is brilliant. He is the Episcopal Bishop who in the 70's (I think that decade is correct) ordained the first gay priest to the Episcopal church in New Jersey. When I realized that about him, I realized I had "heard" of him before stumbling across his book. He was that horrid, heathen, clergyman my church had told me years before was preaching blasphemy and would surly rot in hell. Never did I dream I would find him on my own. Much of his theology and beliefs are quite controversial. There are a few areas where I may still not agree with him. But, it is rare to read something written from such a brilliant mind, that is also written so the lay person can understand it. I truly was a "Believer in Exile" and he freed me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Christianity Must Change or Die.