Amy's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Jul 14, 11

bookshelves: ya-dystopia
Read in July, 2011

Amazing premise. Great writing. Thought-provoking. The characters were all well-drawn. I love it that Neal Shusterman tackles this very controversial issue, and I think readers from either side of the life issue aisle could take something away from this book. I personally don't think the author comes down right smack in the middle of this issue; I think that he is definitely coming to this novel with his own world-view and thoughts on the life issues he presents (because ALL authors can't help but their work be influenced by their personal world-view), but he writes so even-handedly (and thoughtfully) that it's hard to detect. And kudos also to the author for not shying away from the actual act of unwinding. I genuinely felt sick to my stomach as I read it -- kinda like when you pass roadkill in the street and you don't want to look, but you can't help yourself. I had to take a break in the middle of the scene in order to get through it. A very powerful, disturbing (in a good way) book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.