Dea Sauva's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

Quotes Dea Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.”

Tahereh Mafi
“All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Raindrops are my only reminder that clouds have a heartbeat. That I have one, too.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Hope is hugging me, holding me in its arms, wiping away my tears and telling me that today and tomorrow and two days from now I will be just fine and I'm so delirious I actually dare to believe it.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I'm wearing dead cotton on my limbs and a blush of roses on my face.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Hope is a pocket of possibility.
I'm holding it in my hand.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I only know now that the scientists are wrong.

The world is flat.

I know because I was tossed right off the edge and I've been trying to hold on for 17 years. I've been trying to climb back up for 17 years but it's nearly impossible to beat gravity when no one is willing to give you a hand.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I am nothing but novocaine. I am numb, a world of nothing, all feeling and emotion gone forever.
I am a whisper that never was.”

Tahereh Mafi
“Someone picked up the sun and pinned it to the sky again, but every day it hangs a little lower than the day before. It's like a negligent parent who only knows one half of who you are. It never sees how its absence changes people. How different we are in the dark.”

Tahereh Mafi
“I always wonder about raindrops.

I wonder about how they're always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It's like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn't seem to care where the contents fall, doesn't seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors.

I am a raindrop.

My parents emptied their pockets of me and left me to evaporate on a concrete slab.

Tahereh Mafi
“You can't touch me," I whisper. I'm lying, is what I don't tell him. He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.”

11/25/2011 page 150