Rebecca's Reviews > Clarity

Clarity by Kim Harrington

Aug 20, 2011

bookshelves: ya, arc, paranormal, favorites
Read from August 09 to 10, 2011

The book stars off with a bang. The first page shows Clarity "Clare" Fern looking down the barrel of a gun held by her would-be-killer. A body of a boy is lying next to her. The killer cocks the gun....fade to black.

That certainly piqued my interest!

The main story starts nine days earlier. Clare, her brother Perry, and their mother, Starla, all have some form of psychic abilities. Clare is labeled a "freak" while her brother is a real womanizer (which doesn't seem to fit, but I don't dwell on it). When a murder occurs in there little tourist town of Eastport, MA, Clare is called upon by the mayor to help solve the case. She has to work with her cheating ex-boyfriend and the sexy newcomer detective's son from NYC.

I would call this a paranormal murder mystery. I haven't read anything like this before in the young adult genre and it certainly was a great read. It is a wonderful debut novel by Kim Harrington. It is well written, realistic, and has a fluidity that is superior to many other "popular" young adult writers. I really loved the character of Clare right from the start. She's got an attitude and isn't afraid to say what's on her mind. I felt like she was a real person that I would know from school. I also really enjoyed Clare's mother. Perhaps because she was almost more of a friend/older sister instead of the typical mom. She can read minds so she is always popping up and talking to Clare about what she's thinking which is actually kind of funny.

The best part is that the "whodunit" will keep you guessing until the very end; something that is hard to find these days, especially in your typical teen book.

Follow my reviews at http://lostinabookstore.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clarity.

08/09/2011 page 15
6.0% "Only a couple pages in and I can tell I'm going to like it. The main character has a voice and attitude that I hope continues"