Dara Salley's Reviews > Mother's Milk

Mother's Milk by Andrew Breslin

Jul 19, 2011

Read from July 14 to 19, 2011

For all my friends who enjoy conspiracy theories, and I know I have a few, I would recommend this book. The book will cause you to stretch your powers of suspending belief. The conspiracy in the book runs through the entire history of humanity, many levels of American government and into outer space. Once you get on board with the underlying idea you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I enjoyed the writing style of this novel, and for me that is half the battle. There is a lot of information to take in, but it is liberally sprinkled with humor, which makes it more palatable. I can tell the author had a lot of fun finding cow and milk themed quotes, and I have to say that they were one of my favorite parts of the novel. You may not think there are very many quotes about cows, but you would be wrong.

I think the trick in a book with a premise like this is to make it humorous, but also maintain enough credibility to keep you invested in the characters. I think Andrew Breslin achieved this because I was rooting for the main characters. By the end I was rather anxious to find out how it would be resolved. I also noticed that anytime my attention started to wander there was an explosion or abduction.

The book pre-dates the television show, but I saw an interesting correlation between the three main characters and Olivia Dunham and Peter and Walter Bishop on Fringe. The grouping of skeptical woman, math genius and older, slightly insane man is a winning combination in both media.

I may pause before drinking a glass of milk in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother's Milk.

07/19
06/30 marked as: read

Michael Well said Dara Salley. I liked Andy's book too and have a review posted. I once upon a time owned a small herd of cows. I think I may be reluctant to use some of the quotes I made working those cows.............Michael