Chana's Reviews > Whale Tales: Tales from America's Leading Marine Life Artist

Whale Tales by James Wyland

Nov 21, 2012

bookshelves: american, animal-stories, environmental, memoirs-and-biographies, political, received-through-bookcrossing, art
Read on July 14, 2011

I enjoyed the writing style which is not complex but it is amusing a lot of the time and I did feel like I was just listening to a real guy talk, there wasn't anything pretentious about it. Obviously he is proud of his work but why not? His art is amazing and certainly a lot of people are aware of it. I didn't know that there was a whaling wall (that is what he calls the whale murals that he paints) in Seattle. I am not even sure if I have ever seen his art in person. I do believe that I have, I did grow up in S. Cal where he painted quite a few murals. But his art is familiar to me whether or not I have actually seen it in person. I guess he is a key figure in the Save the Whales campaign. I do feel terrible that he wasn't able to save the whales in Japan but I did understand his reasoning about it.
I am going to google now to see if his whaling wall in Seattle still exists. I'd like to see it. No, it is listed as "extinct". Too bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whale Tales.