Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Daughter of the Blood

Read from August 01 to 04, 2011

*Rating*
*Genre* Fantasy

*Review*

Anne Bishop’s Daughter of the Blood is the first book in The Black Jewels series. It tells the story about a prophecy that was seen by a witch named Tersa. The prophecy basically states that the forthcoming witch will be so powerful that she will be able to travel the three realms (Terreille, Hell, and Kaeleer) by shear will alone. She will also have the ability to reunite the three realms that are currently being corrupted by blood Queens and their jeweled hierarchy where the color of your jewel is the way to determine how powerful you actually are.

This is a society that is highly female orientated, with males taking up the positions of the sexual whores that service the witch queens. Some of the characters even wear a Ring of Obedience around their private member to keep them in line. They are used for sexual pleasure and torture and if anyone jumps out of line, they end up shaved.

There is one realm, however, that is still ruled by the Prince of Darkness Saetan, and it is the one place where the main character actually finds sanctuary and comfort when she travels there to learn her craft. That is Hell.

I love Jaenelle, the foretold witch and her story. She has kept her Craft abilities secret from her so called family who continually sends her away to a mental institution called Briarwood because they believe she is deficient and insane. Little do they know that while she is away, she is creating her own friends, alliances, and as well as doing all she can to save the little girls who are left there to die by their unknowing families. They also don’t realize how very powerful Jaenelle actually is.

The ending is a bit disturbing, but in the overall scheme of things, I guess it had to be done that way. Obviously, this is the first book of a series, thus the world building and character introduction was extensive. There are so many different characters, most of them very important to the overall story, that you need a blackboard to keep track of their progress.

Bishop aligns various characters so that they end up in Jaenelle’s path: Daemon, Saetan, Surreal, Lucivar, and Cassandra are her allies.

Naturally, there are those in power who will do anything possible to eliminate the threat that Jaenelle poses to their comforts and masochistic ways; Dorothea, Hekatah, Zuultah, Greer, and the queens who are aligned with Dorothea and Zuultah.

Yes, this book is both twisted and dark. It has scenes of torture and abuse as well as putting children in difficult and heart wrenching positions of weakness. It is also the story about a hierarchy that is controlled by the color of the jewels you wear or are birth righted into.

Jaenelle actually carries many jewels with her thanks to some perfect alliance with not only dragons, but with spiders as well. She just hasn’t been birthrighted to a particular stone yet since she is so young, but if she were, she would carry the most powerful one ever made.

If you enjoy reading Dark Fantasy, you will love this one. This is my first endeavor into the world of Anne Bishop’s creative mind and world building and I am extremely grateful that this was recommended to me to read. Thank you GR friends.

1. Daughter of the Blood (1998)
2. Heir to the Shadows (1999)
3. Queen of the Darkness (1999)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Blood.

08/02/2011 page 56
13.0% "This is a very interesting story. I love the innocent little girl who is to become Queen and Witch and Saetan as well."
08/03/2011 page 222
53.0% "This is such a wonderful and pure fantasy novel, that I am ashamed to say this is the first time I've ever heard of this series. Definitely worth readind." 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I was so confused reading this book. I just think I'm not intelligent enough for these type of fantasy novels.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I don't think that at all, hell at least you HAVE a job! What the hell am I doing? ::twiddling my thumbs::

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "I don't think that at all, hell at least you HAVE a job! What the hell am I doing? ::twiddling my thumbs::"

You are waiting for the right job!

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Pfft, for the last 28 months? LOL

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Pfft, for the last 28 months? LOL"

But when you do find a job, it will be the best ever. I have a friend who was out of work (and constantly looking for a job) for almost 32 months. He just found a job this past month and it was what he wanted to do all along. I was so happy for him we threw him a huge party.

Good things come to good people so you will do fine!

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Awww thanks hon :O)

Anita I've read this whole series, and I LOVED it. After you get through the first 3, which are the most intense, the tone isn't dire and deadly all the time. And it took me a couple books to understand the setting and naming conventions - they are confusing. The author just published the very final installment of the series this year, and it was heartbreaking for me to say goodbye to the characters. I think it's worth sticking with it.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Thanks Anita. Guess I shall be continuing then after the first three that tells Jaenelle's story.

Gardavson Nice review. I needed it to understand the realms. I was still confused after reading the book. Your review helped clear that up a little.

message 10: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy i read few pages and i like it, but i'm not sure why some ppl don't like it