William Vitka's Reviews > Shadow of a Dead Star

Shadow of a Dead Star by Michael Shean

Jul 21, 11

Read from July 14 to 21, 2011

It's a dark, dirty future. And it makes for superb reading.

Michael Shean's 'Shadow of a Dead Star' is written with shades of Jim Thompson and Philip K. Dick, but it's unlikely you've ever immersed yourself in anything else quite like it. And even while sharing some tonal similarities with those great authors, Shean's work is not derivative.

The book begins as a gritty detective story, but after it has hooked its claws into you, the tale twists. Mutates. Goes in directions you'll never see coming -- but which also make perfect sense.

Call it TechNoir, or CyberPulp.

Just so long as you call it original.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of a Dead Star.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Shean Hi there, William! Thanks so much for taking a crack at my first novel. I'm really glad that you liked it, and I hope that you'll stick around for the second one!

message 2: by Dick (new) - added it

Dick Peterson Whoa! The pulpy journalist speaks. What an enticing review that. I've added Shadow to my to-read shelf. Thanks for the discovery William.

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Shean Yes! He seems to dig it, and I hope that you will dig it too. And if you don't, tell me all about why not. I love me some criticism.