Cheryl's Reviews > Medicus

Medicus by Ruth Downie

Oct 08, 2014

bookshelves: mystery
Read in July, 2011 , read count: 2

This is an engaging series. I had read Medicus when it was new and just reread it because, after reading #3 Persona non Grata I couldn't remember the original plot that brought the medicus and Tilla together. It was just as enjoyable on second read--complex and entertaining enough that it still seemed fresh, and I went to the library to get the second book Terra Incognita just to complete the experience. Downie's Roman empire is well-researched, but her knowledge doesn't intrude into the story in a jarring way. Reading all three in quick succession isn't something I recommend, because the sparring and miscommunication between the doctor and Tilla is grating after a long session of reading. But the characters are fun and the plots are interesting studies of Roman life. Though these are nominally mysteries, the detecting isn't front and center. Downie seems more focused on the development of the couple's relationship and slices of life in Roman Gaul and Britain. #1 is How They Met and then in #2 and #3 the main theme is being introduced to each partner's Awful Relations, leading both to conclude that they can't go home again. I will be interested to see where they go in #4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medicus.