Diana Leigh's Reviews > Ghost on Black Mountain

Ghost on Black Mountain by Ann Hite

Sep 16, 11

Read from September 11 to 15, 2011

GHOST ON BLACK MOUNTAIN is a spellbinding Southern Gothic about dark secrets, murder, ghosts and revenge. The story is told from the points of view of five women, each one connected in some way to Hobbs Pritchard and Black Mountain, North Carolina. Hobbs was an evil man. A criminal. An abuser. A murderer. But he was also deceptively charming and handsome, and easily won young Nellie's heart. It was during the Great Depression that he married Nellie and brought her to live on the mountain. It only takes a short time for her to see the real Hobbs and to realize her life is in danger, and there's only one way for her to get off that mountain. Unfortunately for Nellie, her secrets won't stay buried forever.

This was an amazing book, one that I will think about long after finishing. I love how the book was constructed with each narrators' point of view in a separate section, and each part added more depth to the story as a whole. All five of these women were strong yet flawed, and I connected to each one. Even the ghosts and the mountain itself were compelling characters in this eerie tale.

GHOST ON BLACK MOUNTAIN had me captivated from the first page. The tone of the story was dark and unnerving, and there were many surprising twists and chilling moments throughout the story. This was more than a ghost story. It was also a testament to the powerful bond between a mother and child that nothing, not even death, can break. GHOST ON BLACK MOUNTAIN has a place on my keeper shelf. I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

I received my copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost on Black Mountain.