Lain's Reviews > A Year Without Made in China: One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy

A Year Without Made in China by Sara Bongiorni

Mar 24, 08

Read in January, 2008

I was enthralled with the concept of this book -- could an average American family live an entire year without buying anything made in China?

Bongiorini's writing style made what could have been a dry topic on world economics come alive. Her humor and slice-of-life memoir of her family's year was entertaining and a fun, quick read.

However, something was missing -- I was waiting for a big "aha" but instead felt the book was more an exam of greed in a disposable culture than "can we live without China?" Her solution to providing her kids with their hearts' desires (i.e., China-made toys) sat wrong with me -- soliciting toys from friends and family members in order to avoid purchasing them herself seemed to be a little manipulative and not true to the spirit of the boycott.

Missing also was any discussion of the "tainted toys" debacle that occurred at the end of 2007 -- namely because this book was written and published before then. I would love to hear Bongiorni's take on what we're sacrificing when we go with the lowest bidder.

I would give this book 3 1/2 stars if I could. But I'm rounding up just because she was so funny. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year Without Made in China.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I am very interested in this book and of course working for a multi-national, have my own personal convictions to play on a challenge like this, I agree that if she truly wanted to boycott, having others provide the items doesn't seem quite right... but look forward to reading it anyway.

Thanks for the review!