Patrick's Reviews > Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

Good to Great by James C. Collins

May 16, 08

bookshelves: books-read-in-2008
Recommended to Patrick by: Brent Keltner
Recommended for: people who were ties to work
Read in May, 2008

I got this book as a 'gift' from my boss' boss at my old corporate job. Given that I never read the book while I was there, and I just finished reading a humorous book about the corporate life, I thought it might be a lark to read this book now that I've removed myself from that world. Plus, I like case-studies.

One unexpected pleasure was a little card underneath the cover which I'd forgotten about, commending me on a job well-done for some conference we'd put on. It was amusing to read that, and then to remember the dinner he took me and my colleagues out to (quite fancy, I might add) to celebrate. It was a nice gesture, one which I didn't see a whole lot of in my former life. My boss' boss gave us each a copy of this book, explaining that our company was currently 'good', but could hopefully keep working it's way to 'great', and we could be a big part of that (which was BS, but I appreciated the sentiment).

Unfortunately, the lessons in this book were mostly trite, and the information is now woefully outdated, given that multiple companies that are 'great' are now rumored to be going bankrupt. IT should only be read ironically, at this point. At least now I can say I made the effort, though, even if I never did while it could be of any practical use. I think that counts for something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good to Great.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephan (new)

Stephan Hey Pat! See you soon!