Beth's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

May 14, 08

bookshelves: top-recommendations
Read in June, 2007

This book is LONG and since it is non-fiction...this book took me about 4 months to read. I tend to be an information nut. I like to learn facts of trivia and information about everything, therefore this book is great for gathering information regarding science and nature. Having graduated from college a few years ago it is easy to feel as though you have stopped learning or grasping new information, after reading this book I felt as though I had taken an independent study course in Earth Science. Bryson's easy intellectual writing style makes issues such as the astronomy, paleontology, botany,metrology, chemistry, physics and so much more, easy to understand and comprehend. Yes...there is a lot of technical language in this book, but Bryson walks you through it and he definitely finds humor in some of the ancient scientists. I would recommend this book to anyone who feels like they need a prep course in science and history to feel a sense of accomplishment.
Sidenote; as a landscape architect, Bryson talks about the nomenclature of plants and how botanical names came about.....It was so funny and humorous to me, most of the botanists who took it upon themselves to name plant species, were quite pervy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.