Wendy's Reviews > Passport Summer

Passport Summer by Elisa Bialk

Mar 24, 08

Recommended for: Constance, Kelly, Betsy
Read in January, 1991

I've read this book many, many times--I think it was one of the first books that put the idea in my head that it was really, truly possible for me to visit Europe someday.

I feel like I should put a disclaimer on many of my reviews-- "Don't expect this to be a GOOD book"--it's definitely a typical vintage teen fiction, but a very enjoyable one. It's sort of summer-campy, with Kit in a camp-counselor role, but against a European setting. The ten girls are funny, as are the period details, like the makeup and clothes and etiquette. (The girls make fun of the "long-haired" British boys--the Beatles hadn't arrived yet, I guess.)

It's really funny how Charlton Heston turns up in the author's books (I can think of at least two, anyway). He must have been a family friend.

Recommended if you liked Du Jardin's Junior Year Abroad, or really any of those books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passport Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Fortunately, I had a copy in my inventory, and it is now on my to-read shelf. Thanks for the recommendation. :-)

message 2: by CLM (new)

CLM This does sound like something I would like, although I never cared for Junior Year Abroad - really the only DuJardin I never got into. I have at least one other book by this author in a tattered paperback.

Wendy Marty, maybe, or Marty on the Campus/Marty Goes to Hollywood?

Junior Year Abroad is kind of strange, I'm sure from the thing of using her daughter's letters--the writing isn't as good and there isn't much of a unifying story.

message 4: by CLM (new)

CLM http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage...

Yes, I think it was Marty or possibly the sequel.

message 5: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie Maybe you should have a "books discarded from Alice Ott Middle School library" shelf.

Wendy Yes, I was thinking about that. Secret title: "books transfered by my mother from Alice Ott Middle School straight to my bookshelf". I have sometimes thought that my life--or my lifelong favorite reading material, anyway--could be quite different if the library had been weeded sooner, or Mam hadn't done it, or she hadn't so systematically sorted out books she thought I would like into a separate box. *I* certainly wouldn't have picked up First Love, True Love.