Tamara's Reviews > I'll Be There

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: teen, fiction
Read in September, 2011

Favorite Elements

Short. Concise. Impactful. Sentences. Such as, "And for the first time in days, she smiled. Wide. Full. Complete."

Employs a "rolling stone" or "tag, you're it" technique. Every new character that is introduced comes with a small story that sums up their life and explains how they came to be in this story, with these people, who you love. And it all just seems to flow together. I don't know how Holly Goldberg Sloan did that, but I am impressed.

Least Favorite Elements

Bobby. (He started out as misguided but understandable. He ended up a caricature of himself that was no longer believable.)

Jackson 5 song tie-in. Too corny. Too obvious. Too...something.

Favorite Quotes

"Hey..."
He said "Hey" back.
And then they graduated to two syllables and then three and then sentences. And then whole ideas and the real expression of thought.

And I miss Felix the dog. And I miss the way he smells, which is like wet sweaters. But clean wet sweaters.

What was choosing someone all about, anyway? Did it come down to understanding how the way the person felt about you made you feel about yourself?

Hadn't someone said once that love was attention? No more. No less. But there was attention. And there was obsession. And there was possession.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be There.