Beth's Reviews > My Name Is Asher Lev

My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

May 14, 08

bookshelves: theology-and-god, influential-life-changing-books, top-recommendations
Read in October, 2007

PREFACE: I was believed I was first introduced to Chiam Potok my first year of college. I never had to read the The Promise of The Chosen in high school. However after starting on my Potok journey, I realized that the first works I read of Potok's were The History the Jews. His biographical, geographical, historical account of the Jewish race and through travel through time. I read this book before going to Isreal.

My all time favorite Potok book is My Name is Asher Lev, this book began my journey into exploring the modern philosophy of art and its place in religion as well as my life. The beautiful story of a young boy given a gift by God to be an artist. There is such intentifying delimma in the fact that while the gift is from God, it has become a source of strain, contempt, and isolation from his family. After reading this book I found myself going through college trying to absorb all that i could of what my philosophy in life was and how it relates to my work and 'calling' to be a landscape architect.

This book is without a doubt one of the most influential books i have ever read.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Asher Lev.

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy Wells This book also influenced me greatly, thanks for your thoughts.