Tapestrymlp's Reviews > The Ruins of Gorlan

Mar 24, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-discarded
Read in April, 2008

I got about a quarter through this book and then had to put the thing down. The story itself has some promise but the writing is too clunky for me. The point of view rockets between characters and much of the story is in passive voice, told to the reader rather than shown. It makes for a slower pace, long blocks of text and major, major info dump on almost every page. Rather annoying. I appreciate the author has put a lot of time and effort into his world building - I just don't want to read an encyclopedia on it disguised as a novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Gorlan.

message 1: by Kit (new)

Kit I think the second one is even worse, which is too bad. I also thought it was a great world, but not enough to keep reading!

Bluelily3 You must not read much fantasy. They pretty much all have "info dumps". That is how you figure out what the world and all its inhabitants are all about. This book was actually pretty mild for information. Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time", and George R.R Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice" are MUCH more detailed than this YA. ;)

Samantha I agree with all three of you. The story line was good, but the writing seemed like it was for a very young person. It was predictable and cliched (spelling?)

message 4: by R.A. (new) - rated it 1 star

R.A. Bluelily3 wrote: "You must not read much fantasy. They pretty much all have "info dumps". That is how you figure out what the world and all its inhabitants are all about. This book was actually pretty mild for infor..."

I really don't think you have to have info dumps all over the place to make a good fantasy. And honestly I have the same problems with Wheel of Time that I do with this one.

I'm currently writing a fantasy story that does NOT have info dumps everywhere and it works (at least my critique groups think that it does)

The other problem I have with this book is the constant telling verses showing. The author rarely shows anything. He tells us everything as if he expects we don't get it.