~Tina~'s Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Jul 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, read-2012, mythology, wanted-to-love-but-couldn-t, young-adult
Read from January 06 to 08, 2012

I really really wanted to like Everneath but in the end I just couldn't bring myself to love this one.

This book really makes you work at trying to figure out what the hell is going on. It's very evasively written. Leaving you hanging on a lot of questions from the very first page...on. It would hook me one minute then lose me the next.

The story-line was intriging enough. I really loved the mythology that Ashton brought into this and her writing is very good, but I wish the flow of the story moved a little better. It just felt to confusing which annoyed me throughout the story.

I can't say that I liked these characters very much either. Cole is slime and I wanted him to just go away. Jack had his moments and was the reason I wanted to even finish the book. As for Nikki? I liked her and I didn't. She's kinda weak and selfish and doesn't really make the brightest choices. In fact she could have probably avoided everything if she just confronted Jack to begin with.
The ending was kinda predictable as well, but surprisingly, it left me curious about the second book. Even if just a little.

As much as I didn't care for this one, I still recommend it. It's unique, it had it's moments and the plot really was fascinating.

Thanks Alexa for touring this one out:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

01/07/2012 page 1
0.0% 1 comment

Hira To read or not to read, that is the question...

Lyndsey I agree, Tina! This is another one where I just do not get the hype. Nikki was just too distant and hard to connect to. Didn't really care about the "romance" at all either. Great review!

Crystal Oh thank you! I am so glad that I Have someone else to add to my little island lol. I agree with you completely! Great review =)

message 4: by Lyndsey (last edited Jan 08, 2012 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lyndsey You didn't like it either, Crystal? Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one. An island, you say? I hope there aren't either....smoke monsters, dinosaurs, or crazy versions of Tom Hanks. Those are the only islands I've heard about.

Actually, dinosaurs might be okay. But crazy Tom Hanks? *shudder*

Alexa Really great review! I'm sorry you didn't like this as much as you wanted, Tina, and I completely understand why you didn't. I also didn't like Cole! I don't get the appeal. He's a creep. :\

message 6: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jan 08, 2012 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Tina~ Lyndsey and Crystal- Thankies:) I actually thought I was alone in this one. Lots of glowing reviews out there.

Crazy Tom might be fun:p >.<

Thanks Alexa!! I really tried to like this one. It was on the verge of being a three and even a four at one point or another, but I think around the 'triangle' it started to loss everything.
I also still don't understand a few things...

(view spoiler)
I sill kinda want to know what happens next so I might have to stalk someone who's read book two later on.

o.o

Wendy Darling I'm with you and Crystal and Lyndsey on this one, too. Coming back to read this after I get off my butt write mine!

~Tina~ I look forward to reading it!:) ^^

Giselle Oh darn! I'm just about done with it and I really liked it :) But I'm a sucker for Hades and Persephone retellings.

message 10: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jan 08, 2012 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Tina~ I love the re-telling as well and figured since I liked Abandon and The Goddess Test I would like this one. But I think it was more or less the way this was told and how these characters acting that lost me:(

So glad your enjoying it though!:) Yay's!

Crystal @ Lyndsey no I didn't care for it and I have created my own little island lol. Feel free to join and I promise to keep Tom away from you =P

@ Tina (view spoiler)

Lyndsey @Crystal - I'll let my raptors loose on Tom if he tries anything!

Also, it's so annoying that Nikki would just (view spoiler)

~Tina~ Both excellent points ladies! ^^

Giselle I just finished this and I get all of your points. But also remember that (view spoiler)

message 15: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I wasn't a fan of this one either, Tina! And I felt like I was the only one. Also, they used Nikki's name WAY too much. I cannot stand that in books! No one uses a person's name in every sentence.

~Tina~ Yeah, the over use of a name bothers me too in books. At least they didn't do the whole first name and last name thing though.

message 17: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes love the review tina ~ you have such a nice way of saying things and explaining stuff that gives me a sense of the book

~Tina~ Thanks Nomes:) I think I could have done a better review, but I really didn't know what else to say:p

message 19: by Arlene (new)

Arlene What Nomes said. Very good review. :)

~Tina~ Thanks Arlene!:)

Kristy Great review tina! I agree about the ending be insanely predictable, but for some crazy reason I'm still curious about book 2 as well?!?!?!? Complete madness...

~Tina~ Yeah, I'm curious about the second book as well. It's a crazy book for sure!

Kristy If it doesn't blow me away right off the bat I can see myself not finishing a series!!!! gasp! But, i feel like I'm going to give it a try ;)

~Tina~ I know what you mean, there are a few books on my shelf right now and it seems like I lost total interest in them. But I wanna know (view spoiler)O.o

~Tina~ This book had a lot of good moments Amreen, I think you should read it:) I didn't end up loving this one, but yeah that ending makes me very curious indeed.

~Tina~ No, not a cliffy, but it makes you want the next book a.s.a.p!

message 27: by Lora (new)

Lora Sorry you didn't like this one, Tina:( I'll remember to only get this from my lib.

~Tina~ Hope you have better luck my friend!

Priscilla A little late to this band waggon, but my thoughts exactly Tina!

~Tina~ Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Still, I wish I could have liked it more.