Carol's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

Sep 23, 12

bookshelves: favorites, nordic-noir, detective, mystery, police-procedural, suspense, thriller
Read in July, 2011

Great read. Kurt Wallander is a wonderful character. So real with his vulnerabilities. His illnesses and his fear of death. He sees himself on a journey he can not turn around from nor can he change the final destination. He lives alone because of his obsession in solving cases leaves no time for anyone else, yet he dreams of a relationship with Baiba a former love interest. In his world he has a daughter and grand-daughter who love him but there is no one else. There is a detective story, a mystery of the disappearance of a Swedish couple, the paternal grandparents to Wallander's grand-daughter but this is secondary to Wallander's story and in a way his story is everyone's story as they grow old.

This was my first Wallander novel after seeing episodes of the BBC series. It is the last Wallander novel and not a good place to start unless you know about his past. I will read other novels but first I need to decompress from this intense story of people who seem so real I can see myself in them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Apr 28, 2012 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Great read. Kurt Wallander is a wonderful character. So real with his vulnerabilities. His illnesses and his fear of death. He sees himself on a journey he can not turn around from nor can he change the final destination. He lives alone in his world but he has a daughter and grand-daughter who love him. There is a detective story, a mystery of the disappearance of a Swedish couple, the paternal grandparents to his grand-daughter but this is secondary to Wallander's story and in a way his story is everyone's story as they grow old. This was my first Wallander novel after seeing episodes of the BBC series. It is the last Wallander novel and not a good place to start. I will read other novels but first I need to decompress from this intense story of people who seem so real I can see myself in them.