Erelin's Reviews > Away

Away by Amy Bloom

Apr 01, 08

Read in March, 2008

Such a heartbreaking story written with Bloom's wonderful insight into the human heart! I read some reviews about this book saying that the journey the protagonist undertook in this book is not believable. What a load of crap! Anyone who has ever been a mother knows, that a mother will literally walk to the end of the world if there is even a faint chance that somewhere out there her child is alive and waiting for her! It was totally believable! I know that had I been in the shoes of the the protagonist, I would have done exactly what she did. However,the odds are against her, of course, and Bloom knows that too and that's why Lillian never makes it, which makes the ending of the book sad but completely believable and entirely satisfying. Strong, wonderful, memorable characters. Amy Bloom is such an honest writer, she shows people just as they are - the beautiful and the ugly. She will always be one of my favorites, in particular amongst those who write with their hearts...It is a wonderful book that touched my heart deeply.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Away.