Sweet Caroline 's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Feb 14, 2012

bookshelves: my-favorites, classics

What if you sent for a boy to help and got a girl instead? (Not to mention a girl with red hair and a temper to match it!) Well meet Anne!

Anne of Green Gables is a story of an imaginative, eccentric, character living in her first real home, getting into all kinds of scrapes and antics along the way!

Anne's school life has a rough start, and she has one life-long decision: to never forgive Gilbert Blythe for calling her "Carrots." But things get better between them, an epic rescue "poetical, tragical, and romantic" enough to fit Anne's desire, and a study group eventually going of to Queen's Classes.

There's another thing too, kindred spirits. A strong powerful friend that has " that special something" Anne is sure that her best friend Diana Barry is one and thinks Matthew is one too.

That leads me to my next subject, Marilla and Matthew. Elderly siblings to each other who need farm help. Marilla is in experienced in bringing up children and is a stickler for the rules. She doesn't believe in the imagination and has told quiet, shy, kindred spirit, Matthew not to question her ways,

So,

What if she dyes her hair green?

or puts linimint in the Minister's and his wife's cake by accident?

or breaks her ankle from taking a dare from Josie Pye?

or makes Diana drunk without knowing it and they're not allowed to be friends because Mrs Barry says they can't?

What if Matthew dies?

Well you'll find out in this "romanticly, poeticley" wonderful classic.

Are you a kindred spirit?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

Quotes Sweet Caroline Liked

L.M. Montgomery
“When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Red hair is my life long sorrow.”

L.M. Montgomery
“I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose WOULD be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.”

L.M. Montgomery
“You're not eating anything," said Marilla sharply, eying her as if it were a serious shortcoming. Anne sighed.

I can't. I'm in the depths of despair. Can you eat when
you are in the depths of despair?"

I've never been in the depths of despair, so I can't say," responded Marilla.

Weren't you? Well, did you ever try to IMAGINE you were in
the depths of despair?"

No, I didn't."

Then I don't think you can understand what it's like. It's very uncomfortable a feeling indeed.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”

L.M. Montgomery
“Don't be very frightened, Marilla. I was walking the ridge-pole and I fell off. I suspect I have sprained my ankle. But, Marilla, I might have broken my neck. Let us look on the bright side of things.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is an awesome review Caroline!!!! :)

Sweet Caroline THANKS!!! ; )

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup!