Kyra's Reviews > The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

Jul 14, 2011

bookshelves: comics-graphic-novels
Recommended for: everyone
I own a copy

So happy to have this come out. Each strip is still as hilarious as the first time I read them decades ago! I love how each page is dated so you can read it chronologically.

It does omit some of the cute little sketches that were included (possibly as filler?) in some of the books and that's a bit of a shame, but really everything else is in here and is so well done and in such high quality it's hard to complain.

For those who are totaly anal: 2 of the comics which used to refer to adoption have been changed. (If you read his 10th anniversary collection BW talks about how some people were offended by his lumping adoption & cannibalism.) I think i'll be keeping the 10th anniversary edition because it has introductions by him explaining his philosophy/motivations but otherwise I think this collection almost perfectly replaces the 14 separate books.

More nitpicks: what seems like 2 coloring errors. On Sunday, May 10th (I think '86 or '87) the second panel (where he says "Dead Worms") shows Calvin's shirt as white (all the other panels are in red as usual) -was this a misprint? Then on Nov. 19, 1989 in the first panel Calvin's seen dressing in the usual striped red tshirt w/ a turquoise coat. In the 3rd panel he's suddenly in a pink shirt. Then in subsequent panels he's back to the red striped shirt & blue jacket.
With all the care they obviously put into this it seems a bit strange.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.