Danielle's Reviews > Never Cry Werewolf

Never Cry Werewolf by Heather Davis

Jul 14, 2011

liked it
Read from July 16 to 17, 2011

Moonlight can totally change your life. And it all starts so simply. You. Him. The moon. You’re toast.
Okay, so maybe Shelby has made a few mistakes with boys lately. But her stepmother totally overreacts when she packs Shelby off to brat camp. Suddenly, it’s good-bye, prom dress; hello, hiking boots.

Things start looking up, though, when Shelby meets fellow camper (and son of a rock star!) Austin Bridges III. But soon she realizes there’s more to Austin than crush material—his family has a dark secret, and he wants Shelby’s help guarding it. . . .

I picked up this book for a few reasons:
1)The cover looked nice
2)I saw 'Werewolf' and was immediately drawn to it
3)I had just finished The CLearing, also by Heather Davis and LOVED it so I decided to give this one a try too.

What did I think of this book? Well, it wasn't as good as The Clearing in my opinion, but it was still pretty good. The main character is a 16 year old girl who lives with her father and evil step-mother Priscilla (thought the name suited her well :)) after her mother dies three years earlier. Shelby is caught kissing a boy out under the moonlight in her step-mother's rose garden and her step mom immediately seizes this as an opportunity to send her away. Shelby apparently hasn't had to best choice of guys; always putting their needs before her own and her parents sees this as the last straw.

She is sent off to Camp Crescent, a prestigious brat camp where the rich and famous send their problem children to change for the "better". Here, while enduring sickening therapy sessions, Shelby meets Austin Bridges III. He's handsome, the son of a rocker, and has an English accent. Sounds perfect right? Well, it just so happens the Austin has a little secret, and if anyone were to find out this secret, it could endanger his family.

Austin eventually ends up revealing his secret to Shelby who promises to keep it safe and help him. She is one of the two people outside the family who know this secret; the other is a girl who didn't take it so well. Through most of the story, Shelby is hestitant when it comes to trusting Austin (she has trust issues), but she can not deny the attraction she has for him. Their friendship blossoms into something more as teh story goes on, and she learns to trust him after he changges and saves her life.

After going through great lengths to protect Austin and his secret, Shelby is shipped off to another brat camp, which is more like a military camp and 1000X worse. But after being there for a while, she gets a rather good surprise that makes all she went through seem worth it. Can you guess what...or who...it is? ;)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Cry Werewolf.

Quotes Danielle Liked

Heather Davis
“She’s pure evil. Stay on her good side.”

“And here I thought she hated me because I don’t sing stupid songs.”
Heather Davis, Never Cry Werewolf

Heather Davis
“I didn’t mean to go after him, but no one was doing anything, and I’m probably the only one here who’s actually been in the woods for real.”

“Besides—he’s British. What do they know about camping and wilderness survival and all that?”...

There too busy drinking tea and playing cricket. He would have been lost without me”
Heather Davis, Never Cry Werewolf