Michele's Reviews > The Single Girl's To-do List

The Single Girl's To-do List by Lindsey Kelk

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: genre-chick-lit, genre-fiction, own, 2011-50bookpledge
Read from September 11 to 14, 2011

What. A. Fun. Read. I first heard about this book from numerous people on Twitter, and in one of The Savvy Reader's email newsletters. I thought it would be like all the other "chick-lit"-type books, but with the rave reviews, I thought I'd give it a chance. Boy am I glad I did! It does still fall into that genre, but it's one of the more entertaining ones I've read. Kelk's writing has that witty British sense of humour, reminiscent of Bridget Jones.

The "single girl" in The Single Girl's To-Do List is Rachel, newly dumped and wanting to be okay with it. With the help of her two fabulous best friends, Emelie & Matthew, they compile a to-do list to achieve the self-acceptance of singledom. She embarks on a mission to cross off all the items on her list... everything from getting a makeover to doing something extreme, all the while juggling her job as a make-up artist, at the moment for an airhead of a model.

I absolutely adored this book. The characters were vivacious and captivating, and I found myself completely invested in their BFF adventure. (And what fantastic BFFs they are!) At one point, Rachel and friends find themselves in Toronto - and I just love reading books that are set in my city! Kelk is describing the trendy hotel that they're staying at, without mentioning a name at first, and I was trying to guess if it was a fictional place or if she really based it on an actual hotel. My guess was The Drake. I chuckled when I read a few pages later that it was, in fact, The Drake out on Queen Street West. The pop culture references are current (Alexander Skarsgard!) but the classics are still there (Friends!) Just when you think you know how the story's going to end, it veers in a different direction. Right when you think you've got the "fairytale ending" figured out, Kelk keeps you on the edge of your seat for a bit longer.

The idea of a "single girl's to-do list" is a great idea, regardless if you're single or not! Why stop yourself from seeing the world with some friends just because you're in a relationship? A great piece of advice (for anyone!) that the usually large-tee/black leggings-clad Rachel was given: Don't go out wearing something you wouldn't want to meet a celebrity in.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Single Girl's To-do List.

09/11/2011