Matt R.'s Reviews > Kitty's Big Trouble

Kitty's Big Trouble by Carrie Vaughn

Jul 20, 11

Read from July 14 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy

A pretty solid read, though not the best Kitty book. I'm not sure what it was about this one -- the idea of the story is very intriguing, there's plenty of action, and the whole "meta" story concerning Roman is moved forward a bit, but something about the book felt "loose." It was like all the pieces didn't totally connect completely right.

I think maybe it was that Kitty, Ben, and Cormac didn't so much help advance the story as they were just carried along in its current, as though the story could've just happened without them being present -- they didn't feel totally essential to the happenings. I'm used to Kitty being more upfront and moving things along through her well-intentioned but sometimes ill-considered actions, and this time she felt more like a passenger than the driver.

The characterization is dead-on -- as always -- and I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't spark with me quite like past Kitty books did. If you're a Kitty fan, give it a read for sure, but if you're looking to get started with Kitty, don't begin here... go back to the first one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty's Big Trouble.

07/14/2011 page 46