Dan Schwent 's Reviews > Apeshit

Apeshit by Carlton Mellick III

Jul 30, 11

bookshelves: bizarro, 2011
Read from July 27 to 28, 2011

Six teenagers go to a cabin in the woods for a weekend of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Little did they know they'd end up with a psychotic monster trying to kill them...

Wow. This was the goriest, craziest, goriest book I've read this year. I realize I said "goriest" twice but this book is so gory I thought one "goriest" wasn't going to cut it. It started out like a typical slasher movie. Three guys, three girls, various sexual entanglements. Then the inbred mutant showed up and things got turned upside down. I devoured it in two sittings. Luckily, not while I was trying to eat.

Seriously, there's enough weird sex and gore in this book to sate anyone's bloodlust. How many books have you read that feature a woman with her intestines hanging out for half the book, a woman with an abortion fetish, and another with teeth in her vagina? And all that's in the first forty or fifty pages! Much weirder things happen later.

The twist at the end was nicely done. I was wondering how everyone was still alive and the ending wrapped things up very neatly.

While it's definitely not for the squeamish, Apeshit is a crazy tribute to slasher flicks and is quite a wild ride. Just don't try to read it while you're eating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apeshit.

07/28/2011 page 7
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Wow. This was the goriest, craziest, goriest book I've read this year.

I should try to look for this. Thanks, Dan!

message 2: by Lea (new)

Lea Soooo . . . probably not the best Mellick book to start with!

message 3: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Is it just the women who are sex crazed/mutilated/sexually deformed or are the male characters dealt with in a similar way (disembowelled, fanged penises etc?) Not trying to make a feminist stand point, and have never read anything from this genre so was just wondering...

message 4: by Dan (last edited Jul 29, 2011 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Is it just the women who are sex crazed/mutilated/sexually deformed or are the male characters dealt with in a similar way (disembowelled, fanged penises etc?) Not trying to make a feminist stand p..."

Yeah, the guys are sex crazed and get mutilated as well. They just weren't as interesting as the girls.

message 5: by Bridget (new)

Bridget While I like satirical slasher flix this book sounds a little over the top for me since I am a tiny bit squeamish. Guess I'll have to settle for reading your great review of it. It does remind me though of a hilarious movie I saw & highly recommend called Tucker & Dale vs Evil. Also liked Behind the mask: the rise of Leslie Vernon. Both were fun skewerings of the slasher genre if you like movies.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Bridget wrote: "While I like satirical slasher flix this book sounds a little over the top for me since I am a tiny bit squeamish. Guess I'll have to settle for reading your great review of it. It does remind me..."

Yeah, you'd better pass on this one. It's chock full of squeam. I've been wanting to see Tucker & Dale vs Evil. Glad to hear it's good.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy You surprise me sometimes, Dan. I didn't think you were a big fan of weird sex and gore fests.

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Apeshit has been called Mellick's craziest book. I had to try it out.

message 9: by Antiloquax (new) - added it

Antiloquax I haven't read any Mellick yet, but I have just ordered this and "The Haunted Vagina". D Davis recommended that I check out your reviews. Thanks for this!

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Thanks for reading it. I haven't read the Haunted Vagina yet. The best Mellick I've read so far was Warrior Wolf Women of the Wasteland.