Ramin's Reviews > Understanding the Venezuelan Revolution: Hugo Chavez Talks to Marta Harnecker

Understanding the Venezuelan Revolution by Marta Harnecker

May 31, 08

Read in May, 2008

This was a very interesting book and I definitely recommend it. Marta Harnecker, who is a leftist and is very knowledgeable about foreign policy and social movements and economics and trade in Latin America, interviews Hugo Chávez in depth. She asks him about the political party and the MAS and the lead up to taking power, as well as about successes and challenges while they have been in power. She asks him about his failures and shortcomings, and Chavez does admit to these; he seems to be a very frank person and he is critical of himself. The last chapter is about the attempted coup in 2002. One criticism I have is that Harnecker does not ask enough difficult questions. I am generally sympathetic to Chavez and the goals of the Chavez government, but for that reason we should be very critical of them. Secondly and less important, they do not talk about the translation in the book. It would've been nice to read some comments about it, and I like to hear about why a translator translates a word or phrase in a particular way, or why something is basically untranslatable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Understanding the Venezuelan Revolution.