AH's Reviews > The House of the Scorpion

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

Aug 13, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction, dystopian, library-finds, zzread-august-2011, sos-bookshelf-bingo, young-adult, favorites, 5-stars
Recommended to AH by: Moorchild
Read from August 06 to 07, 2011

That was amazing.

Why hadn’t I heard of this award winning book?

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer absolutely captivated me. I read it in about a day and could not put it down. Essentially it’s a middle school to young adult book but the beauty of it is that it can be read on so many levels that anyone from about age 12 and up can get something out of this book. The book touches upon many themes: religion, politics, ethics, cloning, slavery, the drug trade, corruption and probably a few others that I have not mentioned.

The story is beautifully written and is told in the voice of a young child. Matt is born to this world with a purpose. He is seen as a beast and treated like an animal. Later on in the story, he moves into the drug lord’s home and is given an indulgent childhood. He is educated, allowed to play the piano, and allowed to ride a horse. Matt has his own personal body guard who teaches him survival training. There are some dark undertones to this book and while El Patron looks like a doting father, something sinister is afoot.

Don’t read the blurbs. Just go into the story with an open mind and enjoy.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of the Scorpion.

08/06 page 1
0.0% "SOS Bookshelf Bingo - Dark Shelf" 3 comments
08/07 page 380
100.0% "Wow. Was this ever good. Why didn't anyone tell me about this book before?" 1 comment
02/28 marked as: read

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Hmmm...I wonder if library has this one - maybe saving me a few bucks? Good news! It actually has it and it's in!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Oh, you'd be surprised. Not one Jim Butcher book. Urban Fantasy was limited to Anita Blake books for a while until a few of us started requesting that they purchase books. They seem to get a lot of the YA titles, but the adult titles they'll buy the first book and forget about the sequels.

message 3: by Vivian (new)

Vivian *gasp*

Not one Jim Butcher book?! That just sucks!

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Vivian wrote: "*gasp*

Not one Jim Butcher book?! That just sucks!"

I know! How can they call themselves a library without a single Jim Butcher book? Just shocking.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Very cool!

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Way cool. Maybe Mickey might like this? It is geared to YA.