Ranjani's Reviews > Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die

Machine of Death by Ryan North

Jul 14, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, good-fun
Read in June, 2011

It was a really entertaining read.

The short stories are based around the premise of a machine that draws blood and reveals the cause of your death - not always in a direct fashion. The machine is also always right - anything you do to circumvent your predicted death will always result in it occurring exactly as predicted.

Some of the stories are very emotional, and others look at it from a more scientific perspective. There are the expected "the day I got tested" stories as well as "I died because I got tested" ones, but there are also the completely unexpected "I totally didn't see that coming" stories.

It's a great platform for people who are both experienced writers as well as those for whom this is the first submission. Because of that, the writing style is quite diverse, in a pleasant way.

There's a Volume 2 coming out soon, and I am really looking forward to devouring that one as well.

As for the formatting, the typography was pleasant and I didn't notice any errors that made me go 'eugh' (unlike other best-selling books I've read) - maybe the speed at which I ploughed through this one (because it's just that gripping) means I probably missed something, I don't know.

Anyway, who doesn't love a green dinosaur?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Machine of Death.