Noran Miss Pumkin's Reviews > The Scarlet Pimpernel

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy

Mar 24, 08

bookshelves: percy
Recommended to Noran by: my father william
Recommended for: everyone--even teens
Read in April, 2002

i grew up on the classic black and white film with my father telling me about it again and again. now in my 40's i decided to read the novel, only to discover there are like 15 in the series--most not available in the usa, and they were written by a women. well, there in a scene that brought me to tears, not of sadness , but of heartache. the passage was a expression of such love between a man and a woman he might not see again-- i wept. i do not go to chick flicks ever, and i was crying.
there other books i have been able to get pale to this first outing. pick it up for a summer read--you will enjoy it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Pimpernel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie I love that you have a book shelf called Percy. I have one called Arthur, for all my Arthuriana.

Karen I love the book! He kisses her footsteps. I remembered that scene 45 years, and I just read the book again.

Miriam That 40s film is my favorite version.

Dawn (& Ron) Miriam, do you mean the one with Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon? I like that one too. It was serendipitous that after I read this, that exact movie aired on tv the following day.

Miriam That's the one. I still picture Marguerite as Merle Oberon even though it says in the book that's she's blonde.

Dawn (& Ron) I'm with you there, I did the same thing, she's etched in my mind as Marguerite. And I loved the way Howard did the "They seek him here, they seek him there, the Frenchies seek him everywhere that damned elusive Pimpernel" (or something like that) as the foppish Percy.