Jade's Reviews > The Worst Journey in the World

The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard

Jul 14, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, kindle
Read in February, 2012

This has to be one of the most heroic tales that I've ever been proud to have read. Coaxed into taking on this mamoth book by a friend I kept putting it off as something I wasn't sure if I could give the time and my full attention to. Realising it was the 100th anniversary since Scott's Polar expedition and learning that the streets around my home were named after him (and that he grew up in my area), I thought I had to do it. It was amazing!

There were times when I felt bogged down by measurements and charts, but I think that Cherry-Garard's depth was definitely needed to get a true understand of what these men indured, just so that we could have knowledge of previously unmaned areas. I'm actually speechless in trying to write down the impact that this story has had on my life. I've cried many a time for their strength, trueness to their cause, and ultimately their deaths, and am now heartfeltly in love with the memory of each and every name.

Please give your time to reading this and knowing their story. For what they went through in creating it, it is truly deserved.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Journey in the World.