Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Lord of the Abyss

Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.com

Expected Release Date: November 15, 2011 (Paperback)
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Harlequin Nocturne
Author’s Website: http://www.nalinisingh.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 4, Royal House of Shadows Continuity
Series Best Read In Order: Probably, but works well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy

Twenty years ago, the evil Blood Sorcerer attacked the Kingdom of Elden. Before their death, the King and the Queen used their magic on their four children — the Queen to send them each to the far reaches of the world to protect them, and the King to bury within them each the deep desire to avenge them.

But the Blood Sorcerer corrupted the magic, and Micah, the youngest of the Elden heirs, was cast to the edge of the Abyss, with no memory of his previous life. Awaking in the basement of the Guardian’s castle, he took over the mantle of Guardian, becoming the last bastion between the world and the evil creatures spending their afterlife in the torture and agony of the Abyss.

Lilliana is the hated daughter of the Blood Sorcerer. Abused and tortured since her birth, she refuses to be broken. In a final rebellion against her father, she uses her own blood magic to transport herself to Micah’s location — only a miscalculation on her end results in her landing, not safely at the edge of the village near the castle, but smack in the middle of the Guardian’s throne room.

Daring to meet his eye — something no one else would dare to do — Liliana immediately captures the Guardian’s interest. Bemused, intrigued, and annoyed at this homely little woman who dares to stand up to him, Micah cannot help but be drawn to Liliana.

Her mission is to help Micah to remember his past and his family, because she knows that he is the only one who will be able to save teh Kingdom of Elden once and for all — and time is very quickly running out.

While it wasn’t as apparent in this novel as it was in some of the others of the series as to which fairy tale the story was influenced by, I think Ms. Singh did a beautiful job of weaving in moments and hints of the Beauty and the Beast legend into her own story. The fact that she was able to do so without being obvious that this was a classical story re-imagined was even more impressive.

While I wasn’t at all happy with the ending, regardless of how exciting and satisfying the HEA may have been, and I had a hard time believing Liliana wouldn’t be a whimpering pile of mush rocking back and forth in the corner after the childhood she’d had, I still feel that this was by far the strongest entry into the series. Micah and Liliana’s relationship was beautifully paced, and the secondary characters added so much richness to the novel that I literally couldn’t put it down.

Recommended for fans of plain, abused heroines who use their inner strength to confront their oppressors, of amnesiac alpha heroes whose loyalty, devotion, and honor lead them on to great things, and of beautiful romances sprinkled with a bit of heat.

A solid 4.5/5 Stars

*Note, the edition that I received also contained Nalini Singh’s story, Desert Warrior. I will be reviewing that title separately due to its receiving a different rating from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Abyss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

thuy great review. i loved this one.