Emily May's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2011, fave-ya
Read from October 01 to December 29, 2011

Whenever I write a review of a Melina Marchetta book, I risk sounding like the same old broken record... but, whatever, it's not my fault if she constantly manages to deliver the stuff I love! I'm not sure what'll happen if I ever dislike one of her novels, probably the sky will fall in and the world will end. Don't you know what to expect from Marchetta by now? If not, then I'll fill you in briefly: interesting, memorable and the very opposite of cliched characters, flawless writing, a plot that is gripping even though it isn't about supernatural creatures taking over the world (yet - but I'm actually curious to see how she'd handle that genre)... I feel confident enough to say that she is one of the very best modern writers (in any genre).

Okay... so Finnikin.

Let's just say that this year - well, the past few months - has completely changed the way I view traditional fantasy. The kind with made up worlds and magical realms, that sort of thing. In the past I just haven't cared. The Lord of the Rings? Wake me up when it's over. Kushiel's Dart? A steaming pile of WTF. I was actually afraid to start this book a few months ago because I didn't want to face the disappointment of reading a Marchetta book that did nothing for me. But then my opinion was forever changed by Megan Whalen Turner and her wonderful Queen's Thief series. This sudden change in my opinion of the fantasy genre was only solidified by reading Finnikin of the Rock.

It's difficult to pick a favourite character when they are all so well developed, and also difficult to pick a favourite part of the novel when it's full of some of the best-written action, adventure and romance scenes. The women kick ass and even the toughest of men have their weaknesses that only serve to endear us to them more. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll be saying it again: Melina Marchetta never ever wastes characters. They are all important to the novel, nobody is a throwaway.

There is no such thing as a perfect novel and certain parts could have been slightly improved - like the climax - but this is about as close as it gets. I'm even more of a Marchetta fan after reading this than I was before. Now I just have to sit and sulk until I get my hands on Froi of the Exiles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

10/04/2011 page 92
12/27/2011 page 167
42.0% "I thought this book would be nothing less than fantastic. I was right." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo YES.

Emily May Just a bit concerned because fantasy isn't my usual genre of choice, but it's Marchetta so how can I not read it? :)

Tatiana Fingers crossed:)

Alyssa I can't see you NOT loving this book. Enjoy the ride. :)

Ariana I hope so much that you will enjoy this book, i loved it to pieces and i want everyone to like it too :))
if the next one is as good as this one, it will be my favorite series!

message 6: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo What everyone above said.

:-D

Emily May LOL, I find it hard to believe it possible that I could somehow not love this :D

message 8: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo If you do.. consider yourself shunned, Miss Emily.

I mean... um, we'll still love you.

*narrows eyes*

;-)

Emily May I know, I'll never be forgiven if I don't like it haha :) But it's Marchetta, I doubt she'll disappoint!

Shelley Hi Emily, I’m just starting with Marchetta's books, and I see you're a big fan! Do you recommend what order I should read her books in, or at least which to read first? Thanks!!!

Emily May Hi Shelley! Hmm, it depends whether you normally prefer fantasy or realistic fiction. If you like fantasy, then Finnikin of the Rock is the place to start, followed by its two sequels: Froi of the Exiles and Quintana of Charyn. If you're more of a contemporary fan, then I recommend starting with On the Jellicoe Road. Either way, I hope you enjoy the world of Marchetta :)

Shelley OH my GOSH, I am SO enjoying the world of Marchetta! I nearly pulled an all-nighter with Finnikin of the Rock last night! Your reviews inspired me, so thank you!!!

Emily May Thank you for reading them! I'm glad you've discovered Ms Marchetta - and I can completely understand the all-nighter :D

Julie Covington Just a BIG thank you for introducing me to this fabulous series. Miss these characters already and without seeing this review I am not sure this would have been one i would have started., let alone made it to my favorite list!

message 15: by Leonie (new) - added it

Leonie I think I will try this.
From what you wrote you could like Tamora Pierce's books :)
If you wanna check them out, start with Alanna.

Emily May Ooh, thanks for the rec! I'll check them out :)

Harriet (British Button) Brilliant review, Emily! :) x