Sabrina's Reviews > Crown Duel

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite-females, for-my-bookshelf
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I loved this book, I really did. It had adventure that kept you on your toes where danger was at every corner, engrossing storyline, a load of twists and turns, vivid details, and a strong female read.
It pains me to not give this a solid 5 and add it to my treasured list of the Best Books.
I didn't have a problem with her temper and her grudges that blinded her. I did that too in my life. I understood the pains of hiding in the woods and that resulted in her being so weak.

It's just, I wish she thought about what she did before she did it. She was so impulsive that it bordered idiocy. When she stole his pie, and then his horse...there was no just led to a ealier capture.
And speaking of captures, I hated how she went on for paragraphs on end about escaping and her need and the best time to. It built up all this suspense in me and I waited for plans to form and her to carry out the action. It never came...she didn't even attempt...Escape was only due to other people helping her.

And I know due to all the escaping and hiding and fatigue and the dramatic events, that it's okay to faint. Once, twice, and three times, okay, that's fine. You see a man being killed in front of you, of couse, I get it. You get attacked by a trap, happens to us all, it's all good. But when it comes again, and again, and again, that in every other chapter, it ends with "Darkness overcame me" or "I fell back into darkness", I had enough. And then she gets knocked out during the epic climax scene -_- AT LEAST STAY AWAKE FOR THAT!!!!! But no. It's like Dante's Inferno all over again....

The idiotic acts, the spontanious choices, the fainting, the building up of suspense for can see my problems...
BUT, this was an amazing book and I'm hoping that this was just a "Now I have learned from my mistakes, and shall use my new found abilities of rational thinking and staying awake to make an even better 2nd book" :)
*finally goes to sleep*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown Duel.