Eve's Reviews > My Heart Stopped Beating

My Heart Stopped Beating by Chamed

Aug 17, 11

Read from August 09 to 13, 2011

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. First I want to say thank you for selecting me to read this novel. This is a story (autobiographical) about a young girl in Italy who suffers from the aftereffects of polio and subsequently falls into the hands of her evil aunt and absent uncle after her her parents die in an auto accident.

The thesis of the story is quite interesting - not fitting in as a child, loss of parents, malicious caregivers, institutionalization as a tool for injustice, etc. Sadly, poor narrative organization and an atrocious translation obscure the actual story.

The translation problem is evident almost immediately, "Don't hurt her," he recommended. It almost appears that google translation was used instead of a good editor and English speaking translator. I started highlighting the errors, but gave up after I realized that each page would contain so many errors that it would wear me out.

Initially it appeared the author was writing in the melodramatic voice of a young girl, "I came to this world in the season when the leaves start falling." But as the girl aged in the story, her voice never matured.

The narrative lacks description of space and time. Visualization is so important in a good read. There were never any details, descriptions of any locations. For example, I would have appreciated a bit of effort in that are, i.e. I sat in my bedroom staring at the brightly painted yellow walls while listening to my parents speak though the thin wall that separated our rooms. At least I would have been able to picture a pink girls bedroom.

Instead it seems the purpose of the book is to list out each negative event - bad vaccination, mean school kids, beaten and put into a closest for sometime, though that was rather unclear as sell. Finally arriving as a patient in psych wardk

Gamed - I would like to see this book rewritten with a good editor. I will be the first the buy it if that happens

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Heart Stopped Beating.

08/09/2011 page 38

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chamed I'm really sorry I think there have been problems in the translation. The book flows very well in Italian ... I'm glad we have your comments! I think they just wanted to enhance my admission to the psychiatric hospital ... I remember that I've never been beaten at school, I was just treated as a different, and this motto I was insulted, offended. thanks Chamed

message 2: by Eve (new) - rated it 1 star

Eve My review is an example of why you should not write a review as you're falling asleep. Oye, it's awful.

Chamed, thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure that it is much better in the language that it was written. I wish that I read Italian.

Chamed Good news! thanks to you, my agent has noticed the huge mistake they made involuntarily. the book has been reviewed and locked the wrong one and will soon enter the new review recently .... Thee do not know how to thank you for your gesture of friendship. Thanks dear friend