April 's Reviews > Bloodlands

Bloodlands by Christine Cody

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: review-copy, did-not-finish
Read in July, 2011

(Originally posted @ CSI:Librarian.)

This weekend I actually started and abandoned a lot of books, but I did so in such rapid succession that I saw no point in even mentioning them. But after countless horrible Conan graphic novels and several lack-lustre Science Fiction books, I was hoping to move on to something that was more my sort of thing. Bloodlands was infinitely superior to my previous reading attempts, of course, but it still ended up being yet another book that I picked up only to put it down again fairly quickly.

Ultimately, a vampire cowboy, an Intel Dog whose barks meant words or full sentences, a post-apocalyptic setting, and switching from first to third person point of views in various chapters, did nothing to distract me from the fact that the first 100 or so pages of this book were primarily about two people in a shelter having feelings for one another for no apparent reason so that they can be a couple a few books down the road. Had this book been just about the vampire and his canine sidekick, I would have continued, but I was not loving the female main character and I am not a fan of romantic tensions and lust based solely on proximity.

Truth be told, the odds were probably not in Bloodlands' favor anyway. I have a sizably large To Be Read pile with books about other supernatural cowboys, circuses, goblins, guys with guns, dysfunctional detectives, and precog soldiers to attend to. And an allergic reaction to women and girls behaving irrationally because a vampire, faery, demon or angel showed up. Matters were then made infinitely worse when a copy of A Dance with Dragons showed up on my doorstep this morning, but I digress. After making one last ditch effort this morning, skimming ahead, and also reading other reviews... Well, as a Magic 8 Ball would say, the outlook was not good so I gave up.

In conclusion, no mas. If you are a fan of paranormal romance or vampires in general, you might appreciate this book more than I did... However, I would strongly suggest reading some other reviews first.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlands.

07/16/2011 page 35
10.0% "And already I'm not sure if I like the POV shifts."
07/17/2011 page 61
18.0% "I don't know if I'll be able to finish this book, to be honest. It's not bad, but it's not my thing."
07/17/2011 page 102
30.0% "The only character I like so far is the talking but not really talking dog... I give up."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

...I am not a fan of romantic tensions and lust based solely on proximity.

Best line of the review. :D

April Best line of the review. :D"

Thank you! I wish I could become a fan but... just ain't happening. :)

message 3: by Kmont (new) - added it

Kmont I'm reading this one ATM and am struggling to keep interest going. I also fail to see how this could remotely be romance simply because of that lust and physical proximity and all. There's an author quote on the back saying this IS paranormal romance, but it's not! Feel like that's misleading.

April Ye-ah... I have no clue what that book was supposed to be and I have only the vaguest recollection of the section I read. It was definitely not a good whatever it was.

I read a lot of reviews about the wonderful romance that allegedly shows up at some point but I don't think there is one really and I couldn't be bothered to stick around. Maybe the reader was supposed to find their loitering around and the heroine having some quality alone time to be the stuff of legends?