anarki's Reviews > A Million Little Pieces

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

Feb 09, 14

bookshelves: re-read, real-horrowshow
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 3

A Million Little Pieces … When someone is broken beyond repair, it's one of the first things that surfaces into my consciousness. Pulverizing one's self into molecular form. This book gives me a mental image of what I stated. A Million Little Pieces … Bit by bit to the point that you are not longer existing. Perhaps that's the goal. Self-destruction. To be non-existent. To die. To be no more. Good-bye.

Nowadays, that being broken is being turned to literature. As to what a guy said to the another broken guy, “The best way to get over a woman is to turn her into literature.” You can even make it as something you call sell. As for James's case, it's more of catharsis. I know a bit of Psychology. It's called the Cathartic Method or the talking cure. It's developed by Joseph Breuer. It was even used by Sigmund Freud. And now, a lot of psychotherapists and counselors are using that technique. It's just simple. Let the patient pour it out. Everything. The worst of their sufferings. Their extremely fucked-up moments in life. Your deepest guilt and regrets. Your anxiety. Talk about it. Spit it out. Sometimes you want do die just to forget. These are the moments you don't usually talk about. These stories rot you from the inside. A poison in which you created for yourself. It's killing yourself … softly

James did that thing. Intoxicating himself makes it a lot more easier for him to cope with his life. A life destroyed by crack, coke, acid, alcohol, pot and more. Addiction. For him, life is terribly fucked up and addiction is the only way to deal with. He's an alcoholic. A drug addict. A criminal. Each day was mixture of being drunk and being dope. Puking and pissing and shitting blood. Committing crimes. That's his everyday life. Everyday destruction. It's what waking up another day meant to him. To get fucked up. Annihilating himself with every choice he makes.

He finally had the accident that made him land on that treatment center. His very kind parents decided to put him there. His parents love him so much. An alcoholic. A drug addict. A criminal. Their son. In the center, James was told that if he continues the shit that he's been doing, he's gonna die. Gonna be no more. He made his choice. The withdrawal effects are very disturbingly graphic. It's a day to forever fight against addiction. It's a fight that lasts forever.

In the treatment center, it's where a story of friendship and love grows. He meets many fucked up people. It's a very unfolding journey inside the center. To live or to die. It has always be a choice ever since. Addiction was a choice. To get fucked up is a choice. To heal oneself is a choice, To become a better person is a choice. The power choices can be destructive and curative.

Love heals what The World, and Time can't.

This book just grabbed my heart.

Frey's writing style in A Million Little Pieces really fucked away all the scandals this book has gone through. I even wished I made this review before I knew about issue. The way he crafts the sentences the repetition of words the description the way he plays with he prose fuck all the criticism it doesn't matter.
It doesn't really matter.
Whatever they say.
Doesn't really matter.
A stream of consciousness writing style that makes other books look like pussies. He lied. He motherfucking lied about the things in this book. He said that it was the truth and that is all that matters.
What a hypocrite.
Again.
It doesn't matter.
He's human just like us.
Human beings are basically good.
What he had written in this book changed my life.
That's the truth.
And it's all that matters for me.
A Million Little Pieces
To be broken beyond repair . . .
It creates art like no other . . .
It's more than expressing oneself..
It's about touching lives.
Thank you, James.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Little Pieces.

Quotes anarki Liked

“About life:
"It is not complicated unless I make it so. It is not difficult unless I allow it to be. A second is no more than a second, a minute no more than a minute, a day no more than a day. They pass. All things and all time will pass. Don't force or fear, don't control or lose control. Don't fight and don't stop fighting. Embrace and endure. If you embrace, you will endure.”

James Frey
“Sometimes skulls are thick. Sometimes hearts are vacant. Sometimes words don't work. ”

James Frey
“When I see you, the World stops. It stops and all that exists for me is you and my eyes staring at you. There's nothing else. No noise, no other people, no thoughts or worries, no yesterday, no tomorrow. The World just stops, and it is a beautiful place, and there is only you.”

James Frey
“There is no fear. Absolutely no fear. When one lives without fear, one cannot be broken. When one lives with fear one is broken before one begins to live.”

James Frey
“The first time I saw you, my heart fell. The second time I saw you, my heart fell. The third time fourth time fifth time and every time since, my heart has fallen.
I stared at her.
You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Your hair, your eyes, your lips, your body that you haven't grown into, the way you walk, smile, laugh, the way your cheeks drop when you're mad or upset, the way you drag your feet when you're tired. Every single thing about you is beautiful.
I stared at her.
When I see you the World stops. It stops and all that exists for me is you and my eyes staring at you. There's nothing else. No noise, no other people, no thoughts or worries, no yesterday, no tomorrow. The World just stops and it is a beautiful place and there is only you. Just you, and my eyes staring at you.
I stared.
When you're gone, the World starts again, and I don't like it as much. I can live in it, but I don't like it. I just walk around in it and wait to see you again and wait for it to stop again. I love it when it stops. It's the best fucking thing I've ever known or ever felt, the best thing, and that, beautiful Girl, is why I stare at you.”

James Frey
“The clock holds me nowhere. Nowhere. Nowhere. There is nothing else but now and the shifting depth of the night. I sit at a table alone smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee and listening and surviving. I should not be here or anywhere. I should not be breathing or taking space. I should not have been given this moment or anything else. I should not have this opportunity again to live. I do not deserve it or deserve anything yet it is here and I am here and I Have it all of it still. I won't have it again. This moment or this chance they are the same and they are mine if I choose them and I do. I want them. Now and as long as I can have them they are both precious and fleeting and gone in the blink of an eye don't waste them. A moment and an opportunity and a life, all in the unseen tick of a clock holding me nowhere. My heart is beating. The walls are pale and quiet. I am surviving. ”

James Frey
“There is emotion in the hug, and there is respect and a form of love. Emotion that comes from honesty, respect that comes from challenge, and the form of love that exists between people whose minds have touched, whose hearts have touched, whose souls have touched. Our minds touched. Our hearts touched. Our souls touched.
We separate.”

James Frey
“There are no words and there is no singing, but the music has a voice. It is an old voice and a deep voice, like the stump of a sweet cigar or a shoe with a hole. It is a voice that has lived and lives, with sorrow and shame, ecstasy and bliss, joy and pain, redemption and damnation. It is a voice with love and without love. I like the voice, and though I can't talk to it, I like the way it talks to me. It says it is all the same, Young Man. Take it and let it be.”
tags: music

James Frey
“Addiction is a decision. An individual wants something, whatever that something is, and makes a desicion to get it. Once they have it, they make a decision to take it. If they take it too often, that process of decision making gets out of control, and if it gets far out of control, it becomes an addiction. At that point the decision is a difficult one to make, but it is still a decision. Do I or don't I. Am I going to take or am I not going to waste my life or am I going to say no and try and stay sober and be a decent person. It is a decision. Each and every time. A decision. String enough of those decisions together and you set a course and you set a standard of living. Addict or human. Genetics do not make that call. They are just an excuse. They allow people to say it wasn't my fault I am genetically predisposed. It wasn't my fault I was programmed from day one. It wasn't my fault I didn't have any say in the matter. Bullshit. Fuck that bullshit. There is always a decision. Take responsibility for it. Addict or human. It's a fucking decision. Each and every time.”

James Frey
“Everything I know and I am and I have seen felt done past present past now then before now seen felt done hurt felt focus into a something beyond words beyond beyond beyond and it speaks now and it says.
Stay.
Fight.
Live.
Take it.”

James Frey
“This Girl with nothing but her own strength and a desire to be free. With nothing but a beating heart that is scared to be alone. With nothing but clear blue eyes that see through me and understand me. With nothing but open arms ready to receive me. To stand by me. To walk with me. To love me. I love her. Lilly. The Girl with nothing and everything. Lilly. I love her. A tear appears. She smiles. She leans forward kisses my lips softly kisses me and as our lips touch barely touch she whispers. I love you too, James. Our lips barely touching she whispers. I love you. Whispers. I love you.”

James Frey
“I think of how and why and what happened and the thoughts come easily, but the answers don't.”

James Frey
“Addicts, as a group, generally score far above average o intelligence tests.
Why?
You tell me.
I guess maybe we're smart enough to have figured out how shitty things are and we decide addiction is the only way to deal with it.”

James Frey
“In my mind my obituary is done.It is done and it is right. It tells the truth and as awful as it can be, the truth is what matters. It is what I should be remembered by, if I'm remembered at all. Remember the truth. that is all that matters”

James Frey
“The wounds that never heal can only be mourned alone.”

James Frey
“It's when I'm standing six feet away from you and not being able to find the words to tell you how much I love you and how much I miss you that I want to just scream to the whole room that I�m still in love with you. It�s when I�m sitting alone with the phone in my hand dialing your number and hanging up that I would trade a thousand tomorrows for just one yesterday. Then I could just call you to tell you goodnight. It�s when I am really sad about something and need someone to talk to that I realize you�re the only one who really knew me at all. It�s when I cry myself to sleep at night and it hits me how much I would give to hold you at that very moment. It�s when I think about you that I realize no one else in the world is meant for me.”

James Frey
“I go to my Room and I drink and I smoke some cigarettes and I think about her. I drink and I smoke and I think about her and at a certain point blackness comes and my memory fails me.”

James Frey
“Even a second of freedom is worth more than a lifetime of bondage.”

09/06/2011 page 144
33.0% "addictive and i'm addicted."
09/07/2011 page 215
50.0% "One word. Addictive."
09/15/2011 page 432
100.0% "DONE :)"
05/14/2012 page 60
14.0% "Getting strength from this very book." 2 comments
05/15/2012 page 160
37.0% ""Life is hard kid, you gotta be harder.""
show 10 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Vicky Waters Thank you, nik!