Wendy Darling's Reviews > When the Sea Is Rising Red

When the Sea Is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen

What a weird, beautiful little book. Review to come.

This photo is for Kate, who shares my love of tea and Victoriana:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Sea Is Rising Red.

04/13/2012 page 12
4.0% "She's rumored to be an imposing sort. For a bat. ---> :D" 16 comments
04/14/2012 page 86
29.0% "The cake is a heavy chocolate, soaked in brandy and covered in clotted cream and berries. It's so rich that I have to eat it slowly, savoring every cream-covered sweet sliver. ---> All this tea-drinking and cake-eating is making me deliriously happy." 17 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lamia (new) - added it

Lamia I'm jealous of your kindle tbh. I should have bought the 3G one just to be able to pick the color.

Wendy Darling I really like my Kindle, too. My husband has the touch screen one and I like its slimness, but I like the whiteness of mine. And I like having buttons! Even if they are kinda creaky.

message 3: by Lamia (new) - added it

Lamia The kindle touch is coming out at the end of the month here, and I'm not sure if I want to upgrade or not. I'm thinking I need to wait until the next version because, really, there's nothing wrong with mine.

Wendy Darling Yeah, I don't think I'll be giving up my current one unless something really exciting happens. I actually did get a Kindle Fire for Christmas, but I really just use it to watch stuff while I'm traveling. I like reading on a non-backlit screen. :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

eeek I love this picture! :) still SO curious what you'll think of this by the end though.

Wendy Darling I took a couple more photos (posted on my last status update) as well, Kate--I had to run out and get cake at one point! You weren't kidding about the amount of tea in this book, nor about the Victorian feel of it all. Which I LOVE.

But yes, I have been forewarned. I'm enjoying it in the meantime, though.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Wendy, I have been gone ALL weekend. I have done no reading, no goodreadsing, no phone or internet. I just want you to know that i am now back in civilization and camping out here to see your progress.

message 8: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea I seriously need to get a kindle. I'm missing out on all this e-book stuff. =]

Wendy Darling You have a life outside of GoodReads, Kate? o.O But yay, you're back! I haven't read anything today, but will be settling in with this delicious thing tonight. The story hasn't gotten very far yet--and it's much more fantasy than I expected--but I love the mood and setting.

Kindles are fantastic, Chelsea. I'll never get over my love of real books, but ereaders really are so efficient and convenient. :)

Maria Yay for Kindle! I got mine in graphite :) and i gotta have a copy of this book! i've been eyeing this one for a while now. lovely cover. :)

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Wendy Darling wrote: "I took a couple more photos (posted on my last status update) as well, Kate--I had to run out and get cake at one point! You weren't kidding about the amount of tea in this book, nor about the Vict..."

Oooh, now I want this acutely. And a tea service/set.

message 12: by Wendy Darling (last edited Apr 16, 2012 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Darling Yay for Kindle indeed! I would cry if anything happened to mine, Maria. :) I love traveling with it because I'm so fickle about what I'm going to read next.

If you're a tea lover, Jessie, you definitely must be prepared with pots of it when you sit down to read this. There is no other way. (view spoiler)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) tea lover here! that teacup is adorable!!
so much teacup goodness going around today
*smiles*

Wendy Darling Why hello, fellow tea lover! :) That's my favorite teacup, Aly, I have it in blue, too.

I've missed seeing other teacups today, though, were there others floating around?

message 15: by Maree (new) - added it

Maree I'm not going to like it yet, I'll wait for the review, but what a gorgeous cup! When I moved to uni my dad gave me two gogeous cup and saucer sets :)

I love your white kindle. I have a kobo and I thought the white was so much more attractive than the black haha. Do you have a case for it?

Maria aww, you are not fickle, Wendy! ;) enjoy your tea - i love Twinings Herbal Infusions :) just had one today (strawberry mango)!

Wendy Darling I would buy so many tea sets if I had the room, Maree. I probably already have a disproportionate amount of cups and pots and accessories for the amount of space we have, hah.

I have a red pebbled leather Kindle cover with the built-in light. I like it fine, but the pink cover for my Fire is much nicer--and my husband's cover for his Touch is even nicer, it's so slim and lightweight, it adds no weight or built at all.

And thanks Maria! I have the feeling there will be many more cups before I'm through with this book. I haven't been reading much the past few days, but I'm quite enjoying this one.

message 18: by Maree (new) - added it

Maree I have a red cover for my Kobo too, although it is a little bulky. Having the light is such a good idea!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooooh, I bought this one. Glad to see you liked it. I probably won't get to it for five years, but you know how that is.

message 20: by K. (new) - added it

K. I love tea cups and yours is so teensy and delicate and lovely. I covet.

Wendy Darling I am quite sure most people will not like this book, Kara--it's very unusual and not at all the usual sort of YA. But I am very fond of it, enough to find myself a copy at some point.

Ah, I am a coveter of other people's tea cups as well, K. :) There is lots of tea-drinking in this one. And toast. And scones with blackberry jam.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

That's good though, right? For me, usually the more unusual a book is, the more I am going to like it.

Wendy Darling Yep, it's good for those of us who like more literary books for sure! It's a very strange story, hah. With many unanswered questions and unusual choices.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I am looking forward to your review then. That is definitely me.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

*releases breath* i am so glad you liked it.

Wendy Darling I hope you enjoy it since you bought it, Kara! I've been thinking of what readers would like this book, and I think some of them might be people who enjoyed Masque of the Red Death. But not all of them, hah.

I'm really happy too, Kate. Hey, this is the second time this has happened--you said things in your review that got me even more excited about reading a book, and then I ended up liking it even more than you did! I definitely have some things I want your opinion on, though--I just have to get my thoughts together first.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I did enjoy Masque of the Red Death, so here's hoping.

message 28: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann I am glad you liked this one, Wendy! I'll definitely have to pick up my own copy soon.

Wendy Darling Yes, do give it a try, Annika! I really enjoyed this one. It's a tricky book, but I think readers who like more mature YA and a more historical type sensibility will like it.

Tammy I, surprisingly enough loved this book. The prose is mesmerising and also, as a Cape Tonian, the settings were so easy for me to identify with. I should have a review up of it soon too. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on it!

Wendy Darling I'm happy to hear you loved this, Tammy! I thought the writing was extremely compelling, too. It's nice to hear that you found echoes of familiar settings in the book.

Look forward to comparing notes when we're both done with our reviews. :)

message 32: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Wendy, is this worth to recommend to my Big Sister reading group? I have 13 girls between the ages of 14 and 17.

Wendy Darling Do you mean as a group read, Anne? I loved this book, but I think it's for readers with very specifically literary tastes. (i.e., girls who enjoy reading classics will probably like it.) 14 is also probably a bit on the young side for some of the mature themes in this book anyway.

message 34: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Wendy Darling wrote: "Do you mean as a group read, Anne? I loved this book, but I think it's for readers with very specifically literary tastes. (i.e., girls who enjoy reading classics will probably like it.) 14 is also..."

Yes, a group read. Sorry for not making that clear, Wendy. The Group Leader is out for 4 Months, so I volunteered to take it. We meet every other Tuesday evening at the library close to me. I have to find a good read for May 22nd. We are reading Little Women May 8th - May 21st. Only 1 girl had read it ;(

Wendy Darling Aw, I love Little Women! That's too bad that only one girl read it. :(

Hm, you might check out the following (mostly 2011/2012) titles for your group, all of which have good discussion points. I'm assuming you're looking for more recent titles? You might get more participation that way, too.

Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1) by R.J. Anderson Saving June by Hannah Harrington Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1) by Bethany Griffin Tankborn by Karen Sandler Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford

And these are more mature, but would make for some great discussions:

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

message 36: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited May 05, 2012 10:21PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Thanks Wendy! You're my Hero! I picked Cinder and Saving June right off the bat. I'll probably will use all of your recommendations too. After these two, I'm going for The Yearling and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. None of the girls have read these either and can be easily found at the library too.

Wendy Darling Oh sure! (And I love The Yearling, too.) Since you liked the idea of Saving June, you might also like

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman
How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

But anyway, that's enough to keep your girls busy for awhile. :)

message 38: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Thanks a Million, Wendy. They want to read 2 books for the Book Club when school lets out, so your recommendations will be used. I'd like to use a few more Classics for Girls that I read also...a nice mixture of new and old. I'd not picked good, hip reads without ya! ;-}

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I just found this book today at Half Price. I am glad I picked it up now.

Wendy Darling No problem, Anne. :)

Lyn, I'd love to hear what you think of this one when you get around to reading it. I don't think most YA readers would be attracted to it, hah, but I really liked it.

message 41: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Hellisen I don't think most YA readers would be attracted to it

understatement of the year hahahaha.

Sorry I read that and was laughing so hard I had to comment.

*runs away again*

Wendy Darling I love that you are realistic about that, Cat! And I love that your agent, editor, and publisher put their support behind the book even knowing that. Cheers to offbeat YA!

message 43: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Hellisen I've been reading some of the YA debuting this year that are - I hesitate to call them difficult books - but I can see why they're not going to appeal to the majority of YA readers, and it's made me think a lot about authorial expectations.

The books I LOVE are usually quite lyrical, or play with voice, have morally ambiguous characters/grey morality, and expect the reader to be intelligent enough to not be spoonfed information.

And I'm finding these books that hit all my buttons but I also see that they're provoking a fair amount of negative reactions and yes, that has made me a lot more realistic about how my own book is doing. It's also drummed into me just how much a book can hit me with amazing and make me utterly unable to breathe (Leah Bobet's Above omgsogood) and how that same book will just frustrate and irritate other readers.

But I'm glad that editors are still buying those books, and that they're out there. I think in previous years quite a few of them would not have been marketed as YA (Catherine Knutsson's Shadows Cast By Stars reads like the kind of lyrical and dreamy fantasy I used to find in the SFF shelves in my library as a kid) but the thing is, I do think eventually those books find their readers, by word of mouth or whatever, especially now that more and more adults are reading YA.

Woops this turned into an essay hahaha.

Well, before I go, just thought I'd tell you I bought Eon, so when I am done with this Massive Dark Tower rereadathon, I am looking forward to getting stuck into it. :D

Wendy Darling Feel free to essay anytime, Cat, I love hearing your perspective. I have Shadows Cast By Stars and Above on my ever-teetering TBR list; my coblogger really liked the latter, and hearing your description of Shadows makes me want to bump it up the list!

I think "frustrate and irritate" pretty much sums up how many readers will feel about books like Monstrous Beauty, Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, Grave Mercy, and your book, too. But they've been some of my favorite books this year. I tell my friend all the time that my favorite books tend to be the most polarizing ones anyway--more recently, books like Imaginary Girls, A Certain Slant of Light, and Ultraviolet, for example. All three of which I think you might enjoy, btw, if you haven't already read them! I am so grateful that editors recognize that there are a lot of adults who read YA, and that there's a place for more mature, literary writing, too.

I am thrilled that you bought Eon: Dragoneye Reborn. The first book requires some patience, but I think you'll appreciate it.

message 45: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Hellisen Oh fantastic! I've had Imaginary Girls on my list for a while, but I'm going to go add some more titles YAY.

Thanks for the recs. :)

Wendy Darling You're welcome! I think you'd like that one and CSOL in particular. :) I will have to do some more snooping on your shelves, too.

message 47: by Bella (new)

Bella Grace You really do have some of the cutest pictures, Wendy; blog and GR. ;)

Brigid (evil owl master) I love the orange teacup. Lovely