Amy's Reviews > When Will There Be Good News?

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, mystery, read-in-2011
Read in July, 2011

I think I may have found a new favorite author in Kate Atkinson. In recent years I've tended to shy away from the "crime/mystery" genre, but this book seems to defy the bounds of that genre (in a good way). I've heard such good things about Kate Atkinson that I just had to try one of her books. It wasn't until I started reading that I realized this is the third in a series featuring private investigator Jackson Brodie. But it really didn't matter that I had missed the others. What fascinated me about this book is that the subject matter should have been very depressing (a very shocking/brutal murder in the first chapter, followed by many more awful events), but somehow, the way she wrote it, it wasn't depressing. She included such wit and managed a sort of playful tone that softened the awful parts and drew me into the characters even more. And the Edinburgh setting made it even more interesting to me. I'm definitely planning on reading more of Atkinson's books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Will There Be Good News?.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Edinburgh?? I'm in. We're going to move there someday, but only in our dreams.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I know! Actually I thought of you when I realized it was mostly set in Edinburgh. Still can't believe I've never been there (only to Glasgow, never to Edinburgh) YET.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I'm free next week. Meet you there?