Ebookwormy's Reviews > The Revenge of Ishtar

The Revenge of Ishtar by Ludmila Zeman

Jul 13, 11

bookshelves: history-creation-to-fall-of-rome, kids-earlyreaderelementary, world-middleeast
Read on July 01, 2011 — I own a copy

I continue to think how valuable these books are for boys in particular. The relationships with the lovely Shamhat and the evil Ishtar illuminate challenges that men the world over face in relationship to women!

Another thrill was that we are making a Royal Game of Ur board game for homeschool. The endnotes of this book contain patterns taken from the ancient game, and Enkidu and Gilgamesh are playing the game (also known as 20 squares) in the opening scene! So exciting! We were also thrilled to see the Ishtar Gate later in the book, though readers should be aware this gate was built in Babylon, not Uruk in which this book is set.

So many wonderful conversations developed from reading and discussing this book multiple times. Concepts children will need help clarifying:

God or Enkidu?
Who teaches us how to be successful/ righteous humans?
Who gives us courage to face challenges in our lives?
Who comforts and strengthens us when we are afraid?

Why do things like earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis happen?
Why do people die?
What happens to people when they die?

What is Humbaba? Did God create animals like that? when?

Is Ishtar good or evil?
Why is Ishtar angry?
Was Gilgamesh right to refuse her?

What is the secret of immortality?

~~

We found it strange that 'animal friends', as my students called them, are featured in this book prepared as food!

You may have to explain the use of the words "wild asses" on the page where Enkidu and Gilgamesh start their journey.

Other excellent resources include the end note maps and the author's commentary on the last page. My students were fascinated with all three books and eager to look at and read them. Excellent addition to our home library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revenge of Ishtar.