Yvonne's Reviews > Dirty Kiss

Dirty Kiss by Rhys Ford

Aug 03, 2011

bookshelves: aug-cat-challenge, m-m, m-m-action-suspense, m-m-mystery, loaned-book
Read from August 02 to 03, 2011

This book has a lot going for it & it's fun to read. Cole Kenjiro is a half Japanese private investigator recruited by his brother to investigate the apparent suicide of a Korean businessman. In this case, the ethnicity of the characters matter & is not just wallpaper for the story. The more Cole starts to investigate, the more trouble starts to find him. Cole has to deal with this, his attraction to Jae Min, the dead man's cousin who is not all that he seems at first, & the fact that he's not completely over the death of his lover. Cole is scarred both on the outside & inside.

The focus on the story is equally on the mystery & the romance & the story is filled with various likable, funny & colorful characters. The ones that stand out besides Cole & Jae Min are Cole's brother Mike, his secretary Claudia, Scarlet & Bobby. And there's even an evil(in Cole's eyes) ball of fur (a cat) that has a few memorable cameo appearances. Cole is the narrator of the story & he has a nice self deprecating sense of humor throughout the book.

The action part of the story is the over the top kind, where most of us would be laid up for a month trying to recover. Our heroes instead, are able to walk away & despite the bumps & bruises, manage to just keep on ticking. This aspect requires a little suspension of belief. The actual mystery is interesting & I wasn't able to pick up on the person who did the crimes. That may be because everything is shown through Cole's eyes so we only know what he sees.

I like that we delve somewhat into the Korean & Asian culture & their attitudes towards homosexuality. Cole & Jae Min are not perfect characters which makes them a little more interesting to read about. Everything is not totally tied up at the end. We have a happy but leaning more towards HFN ending. There is also a little bit of mystery still unresolved over the death of Cole's lover Rick & his friend Ben. Since this is going to be part of a continuing series, I'm assuming the next book may cover that more. I'll be checking that one out as soon as it's available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Kiss.