Beth Bedee's Reviews > Jack: A Life Like No Other

Jack by Geoffrey Perret

Jul 22, 2011

bookshelves: kennedy-family, biography, non-fiction
Read from July 13 to 19, 2011

I felt that the book was well-written and contained many seemingly well-researched facts. But I prefer history that focuses on the person and their relationships with others rather than the events that surround them. I skimmed through some sections in the beginning because they were rather dry and bogged down with tedious facts. The chapters dealing with Kennedy and his immediate family were very interesting.

This would be a great book for someone who is very interested in Kennedy's public and foreign policy. A good deal of the book focuses on politics and life in Washington.

I'd say JFK and the other players are depicted fairly and accurately. At times, dialogue is presented that gives insight to JFK's sense of humor. I wish there was more of that so I could get a better sense of him as a person. Joe, Rose, and Jackie are sometimes painted in an unfavorable light.

This is a more academic biography than others books I've read on the Kennedys. Some read like tabloid tell-alls. This one has footnotes that list many reputable sources, including Kennedy's own writings.

I was a little bothered by the last couple of paragraphs that briefly described the assassination. I find it hard to believe that a person, who obviously has devoted a great deal of time researching Kennedy, seems to fully embrace the "magic bullet" theory. Perret even goes on to write that Oswald was "doing this for Cuba." Of course, I understand this was not a book on the assassination conspiracy, but on his life.

The book leaves little out of his life. It truly is womb to tomb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jack.