Dan's Reviews > Carrion Comfort

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

Jul 27, 11

Read from July 13 to 23, 2011

Having read Simmons' Drood earlier this year and enjoyed it quite a bit, despite the fact that the book was overlong by a couple hundred pages, I decided to try another Simmons novel. Carrion Comfort is his first, and received high praise from a number of respected sources. That convinced me to pick it up.

I am not going to get into a plot review of the book. I will say that there are a number of good ideas present, and some genuinely creepy moments. However, these get lost in a sea of events, characters, discarded plots, etc. which diminish the impact of those effective moments. Simmons has not embraced the concept of editing down one's work, it seems. I enjoy long books, so I'm not opposed to length where it's needed. But after awhile this just started to feel like a chore. Had about 1/2 of the plot line been edited down, it could have been a taut, effective thriller. Instead, by the end I was slogging through just to finish, my enthusiasm beaten down by the author's relentless refusal to edit out at least some of his ideas.

I would prefer to give 2.5 stars, but still will give three for the solid core premise and the moments that worked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrion Comfort.