Korynn's Reviews > Dead to the World

Mar 23, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: romance
Read in March, 2008

Psychic/waitress Sookie finds her ex-boyfriend's employer running down the road in the middle of the night. She takes him home and finds out he has no memory. What does she do? She jumps his fine bones as many times as she can because they are no consequences!! Yes, if Eric was of his right mind he would be a manipulative controlling egomaniac but with no memory he becomes dependent on Sookie for comfort and comfort she provides in plenty. Where is the morality in this, I don't know. Is it ethical to take advantage of someone you know you don't want to get involved with normally but since they can't remember who they are all bets are off? The plot otherwise is that some mean-ass witches want protection money from the vampires which results in all out war with weres and vamps going against the magical folk. There is also a fairy. I don't know why, some kind of deux ex machina I guess. And we are introduced to a community of were-panthers conveniently nearby.
And again ms Harris offends! When Sookie's brother goes missing she lists his co-workers, one of whom is referred to as the Italian, DAGO. Last I checked that was a racial slur. Not a nickname.
And then, in a crowd scene of weres, Sookie notes Emilio. But then she has to explain that Emilio was from a Mexican population new to town. But Emilio is a background character!! We need to know his race why? He has very few lines and shows up in the big fight scene. It was as though Latinos are so rare in the South an explaination is needed to justify Emilio's presence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to the World.